little over a week post op and i HATE protein shakes

trishajean79
on 7/30/15 3:03 pm

I had surgery last Wednesday 7/22 and I am trying to get my liquids and protein in daily. I cant stomach the protein shakes --even the unflavored ones are horrible.  I have mixed them in everything and I just feel like I am going to vomit. Can anyone help?  I am starting to regret having the surgery and I am miserable. 

Trisha

E_Saenz
on 7/30/15 7:00 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Are you using powder or pre made shakes? I tried unjury strawberry I thought it was good.  Have you tried different flavors maybe try it different temperature.  Don't worry you will have to keep trying.  Try premade premier shakes.

Elia Maria Saenz

E_Saenz
on 7/30/15 7:03 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Trisha you need to push the water too if you are dehydrated you will feel more nausea for sure.

Elia Maria Saenz

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/15 7:10 pm

It gets better. I promise. It really does. Have patience and take it one day at a time or if you need to, one hour at a time.

I HATED the unflavored protein powders. There was nothing unflavored about them! BLECH!!!!! Smelled like freaking toe jam when it was mixed in something. After throwing away the 4th or 5th thing I put it in I never used the unflavored protein powder again!

I have had good luck with two type of protein drinks. The first protein was a little pricy (at least to me), but worked great immediately post op. The brand is Nectar. The powder dissolves nicely in water and isn't at all thick. I think that several of the bariatric websites will send you a sample trial pack for free. That's how I got most of mine the first time, but that was several years ago. Anyway, I really liked the Nectar early out. I could handle the taste and texture.

The second protein powder I like is GNC's Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 (I love the chocolate). I scoop is 20 grams protein, 92 calories and under 3 carbs. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk and am good to go. I still drink this fairly regularly to make sure I'm getting adequate protein. I tub lasts me about a month. Again, it's pricy, but I always get it at the beginning of the month when GNC runs its buy one, get one half price sale (first week of every month). I like the flavor, it doesn't turn to liquid snot like some of them do and it's been my go to powder for 3 years now. I used to love Muscle Milk pre VSG but couldn't handle it post VSG. (the texture killed me and it also gave me bad reflux).

Good luck. Hope you feel better really, really soon. Take heart that you are not the only person who has struggled in the beginning. all my friends who had a rough start ended up doing fantastically well in the long run. Keep  the faith!

happyteacher
on 7/30/15 12:13 pm, edited 7/30/15 12:13 pm

Keep trying, you will find something you can tolerate. It is tough the first bit out for sure. Do a search on protein shake recipes. I had a phase where I was blending vanilla, sf butterscotch pudding mix, ice, and water to make it similar to a milkshake. Maybe some wacky combo like that will help? Another option, if you have not tried the Chike high protein coffee option it doesn't taste proteiny at all and is like an iced coffee awesomeness. Other options are the high protein cream of chicken soup, high protein hot chocolate (very good!), etc. You can also use protein powder (vanilla  or chocolate) in your coffee and that does a great job of masking it... just make sure the coffee is not piping hot to avoid clumping. Try to notice what temperature is working better for you hot or cold, and go in that direction for now. Then try and notice if sweet or savory is more tolerable and try something from that genre. Isopure makes a drink that is kind of like kool aid and available at Gnc and similar stores where you can buy just 1 bottle to try. Just keep trying, you will fnd something!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

MissNexxie
on 7/30/15 7:15 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Have you tried the Unjury chicken soup flavored protein shake?  You make it with warm (not hot) water and its like a creamy chicken broth.  Helped me immensely when I couldn't take another sweet shake and needed something savory.  Quite tasty.  Also, look into the Syntrax Nectar protein powders, they are more 'watery' and not super thick and creamy, and, taste pretty good.  My favorites are Roadside Lemonade and Lemon Tea. If I recall, each of the shakes I mentioned is about 21g protein per scoop (with 8 oz water).

Hang in there.  The liquids portion can be daunting but its a path you need to walk while your stomach heals.  You can do this!  Sugar free popsicles might help, too.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Kelly L.
on 7/30/15 7:26 pm

I like Atkins protein shakes, especially the vanilla.   Not a lot of protein, but tasty.

trishajean79
on 7/30/15 8:21 pm

I can't thank you all enough for responding. I had a tiny emotional breakdown this afternoon and it helped a little bit. I think i needed to have a good cry.

Im going to try as much of the suggestions as possible. I will find something! Thanks for the pointers and for reminding me that I am not alone!!!!!

Trisha

diane S.
on 8/1/15 11:49 am

this was me too, over five years ago.  i hated all the protein drinks but was resolved to get in the required protein.   I found ways to make them better.  try the chicken soup unjury flavor if you hate the sweet.   i found the protein hot coco from healthwise to be a little better.

i would mix up a chocolate drink and add a tsp of unsweetened coco powder to make it more bitter and chocolatey. add a blob of greek yogurt to a vanilla or fruit flavor  .    put cinnamon on the rim of the glass so it smells better. 

also, mix your drink as cold as possible, pour out only two ounces in a glass and keep the rest in the freezer.  pour out only a couple ounces at a time so its always super cold.   it might take 40 minutes to do the whole drink but it does down better if its just a little at a time.

there are also egg while based protein drinks if the whey gags you.  

a couple of better brands for me were designer whey and teraswhey. 

if you have to, do a half serving in skim milk.

gl.   there are some postings somewhere on how to make protein drinks taste less icky.    diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

NateH
on 8/1/15 12:11 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

I like Premier Protein Vanilla and still like it almost a year later. I've dabbled with Syntrax Nectar for a change. Just hang in there, it gets better. Plug your nose and sip if you have to. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 29 views