Day 3 Post-op Digestive Discoveries

jamrodriguez
on 8/2/15 8:28 pm

I was sleeved on July 30th, so I'm on day 3 now! So far, I've only vomited twice, because I wasn't drinking slow enough. I've had to really listen to my body and find the pace that my sleeve is comfortable with. Speaking of listening to my body... what in the world is the deal with these gurgling sounds!? Its like my tummy is constantly bubbling and churning around, and no amount of liquids I consume seems to alleviate it. It's quite bothersome. I tried GasX strips and they didn't help at all. Anyone have any tips on how to keep the gurgles at bay? Also... I guess I never thought about it but it totally makes sense that I've had diarrhea since the surgery. I mean, I'm only taking in liquids, it would make sense that liquids would be coming out, right? Again, its not uncomfortable, but its taken me a bit by surprise. I'm on clear liquids for 4 more days (water, Isopure, broth, and Propel). I'm actually already looking forward to being able to advance to the "creamier" protein shakes. 

Thanks everyone for your support!

E_Saenz
on 8/2/15 9:06 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

You probably still have trapped gas someone told me to walk and or rock in a chair it get the gas to come out.  I hope this hepls.  As far as the diarrhea goes you want to be careful for cdiff call the doc tomorrow you don't want to get dehydrated.

Elia Maria Saenz

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/15 1:10 am

Ah, you have one of the talking sleeves! Some people have the grumbles and gurgles for a while after surgery. I had a noisy sleeve for a short while, too. Most sleeves quiet down in a few weeks, though some take quite a bit longer. Hopefully, yours won't be a very loud sleeve! GasX won't do a darn thing. Frankly, nothing will - not even a PPI.  It's just a thing that happens for some of us post surgery. Very normal!

jamrodriguez
on 8/3/15 1:37 am

LOL! My sleeve is indeed very talkative. Although, so am I so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. 

roxytrim
on 8/3/15 7:03 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I'm over two years out and enjoy listening to my sleeve check in with me every once in a while.  It tells me I'm satiated, I'm busy workin' here and we are a team...let's keep this train on the tracks 

alouisa63
on 8/3/15 7:37 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I was sleeved on the 30th too and just talked to the Dr's office today.  I was concerned because I haven't had a bowel movement and the nurse said it could go either way - you could have watery loose stools or a major slow down in them.   She did say this was caused by a liquid diet and the after effects of anesthesia and I should only worry if I felt constipated (since they don't want you to push).   The doctor had me start protein shakes yesterday and I was able to get one in.... the creaminess was awesome but I was burping like crazy!   And my stomach is gurgling so loud, the dog is shooting me dirty looks!!

sechax0r
on 8/3/15 9:20 am
VSG on 11/03/14

Get some little medicine cups and drink 1 oz over 15 minutes. Make sure you take in 4 ounces an hour but in a VERY slow fashion. The hospital sent me home with a whole pile of cups. I used them for 3 weeks post op.

jamrodriguez
on 8/3/15 12:12 pm

That's a great tip! I've been drinking out of measuring cups so far, and just pouring 4 oz in them and trying to pace myself to make it last at least 30 mins. But the little medicine cups seem like a perfect way to pace myself. Thanks for the advice!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views