Metamucil Vs. Miralax or anything else?

Oliviawashere
on 8/17/15 9:57 am

I'm going to have one of those TMI posts. I have been taking miralax daily for a while now, sometimes doses inbetween. When I go, I don't go very much and its small stools, and sometimes its just liquid stools. I have been in the ER once for a bowel impaction, and vow to never have to go through that again. & if I go several days without miralax, i'm not able to go and fear that hard impaction.

I spoke to my surgeon and he said that miralax every day is too rough for my system and very harsh and does not recommend that. However, I have heard contradicting reviews on this forum, that many doctors say to take miralax because its not harsh & non habit forming.

He suggested I take metamucil, my problem is, I don't want to bulk my stool, because I don't want hard stool! So i'm terrified of following his advice on this. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Anyone else have any other suggestions or anything to add? Id be forever greatful!

mickeymantle
on 8/17/15 10:05 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I use milk of magnisa it is the only thing that helps , drinking coffee helps me prevent constipation

I don't know when you got your sleeve , if recently call your surgeon again for an ok

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Valerie G.
on 8/17/15 10:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You want a stool softener without a laxative.  Fiber firms stool up for some, but loosens it for most, which is why he recommended metamucil.  I, too, recommend milk of magnesia.  If you're new post-op and still on pain meds, they may be causing the constipation.  Also drink more fluids.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sds0029
on 8/17/15 10:54 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I too take Miralax and a softner at times.  My doctor said fiber was not good for a VSG'er, can stretch tummy.  I had also experience an impaction and I never want that again.  Milk of Magnesium worked good, but I didn't like the way it may my stomach feel.  I am only 7 months in but I promise I'll do what I have to, to stay regular. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/15 10:55 am

When I talked with my surgeon about the same issue early out, he recommended prune juice. It worked like a charm (better than Miralax or milk of magnesia)! However, he cautioned that the carb content is so high in prune juice that it's not the best for regularity early out. I took it for two days and got things more than moving. He also put me on OTC colace (Dulcolax) daily and prescribed Miralax as needed. (It works really fast for me.) I took Miralax with surgeon's permission for about 18 months. I no longer need it, but I do take a stool softener each day.

BTW - my surgeon was not a big supporter of Metamucil. Too many of his patients reported that it added to the problem rather than helping it. It bulks me up, too and made my constipation much, much worse (grunting and groaning with tears running down my cheeks while trying to pass the Rock of Gibraltar type of pain worse!).

Personally, I swear by lots of water,  adose of Dulcolax each day and Miralax when needed. Of course, check with your surgeon or PCP.

Chilipepper
on 8/17/15 11:31 am

You should not use a psyllium fiber laxative. It expands internally and puts too much pressure on suture lines whether they are healed or not. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Chilipepper
on 8/17/15 11:32 am

Psyllium fiber is what Metamucil is 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

phred
on 8/17/15 2:58 pm - CO

This is why God invented magnesium citrate!

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

psychoticparrot
on 8/17/15 3:39 pm

PRUNES! Two every evening. Only 40 calories total. They do the job.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Hislady
on 8/17/15 4:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

My Gi doc told me to use miralax instead of m of m because it is easier on the gut, Also said colace was good to use if the miralax didn't move things along. I take 1/2 cap of miralax almost every day because I take pain medication daily and that plugs me up.

Most Active