Transfer addiction... to shopping

thethinme
on 8/17/15 5:50 pm - NY

I haven't posted here in years. I had my VSG over 4 years ago. Lately I've been noticing I am buying more clothes than I get to use. I've rebuilt my wardrobe after losing 100 pounds, so in the beginning it was natural to be buying stuff. But now... not I reached a placed where I have more than I need. Still, I keep buying. Right now I have (at least) 3 dresses and 1 shirt I never wore, bought over the last 3 months. My closets are packed too, I barely have space to fit a new piece and keep delaying folding washed items as the space is tight.

I am wondering if I am having the famous addiction transfer. Has anyone experienced it?

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

E_Saenz
on 8/17/15 9:59 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I can give you my address and you can go through and ship me what don't fit you anymore lol I'm not one to shop.  Then you can purge the stuff your not wearing and make room for the new stuff.  I would be grateful.  And you will have room.

Elia Maria Saenz

E_Saenz
on 8/17/15 10:59 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm just playing I can see where you may have a problem but since when have you ever been able to buy clothing that small and I look at it as a reward maybe you should stop shopping for a bit and if you can't then you may have a problem.

Elia Maria Saenz

Gwen M.
on 8/18/15 6:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Addiction to anything, even something fun like shopping, is a serious concern.  Are you seeing a therapist?  I've had glimpses of this issue in myself, but, thankfully, it's stayed under wraps so far - maybe because I'm still losing weight so it's hard to justify the expense even if the urge is there.  It is something I've spoken with my therapist about, so hopefully we'll be able to head addiction off at the pass.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

yesican2
on 8/18/15 8:45 am

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I have a friend who had a DS 10 years ago and she has become a major shopaholic/hoarder.  She's a top e-Bay seller and she goes to thrift stores hunting for popular stuff, but the inventory has taken over her entire garage, one of the bedrooms, her office and other parts of the house. 

I worry myself about transfer addiction, especially to shopping--I've never been a normal weight so I suspect it will be really thrilling to be able to have unlimited choices in clothes.  Its great you're already taking about it with a therapist (I need to get started on that now)--keep that up and I think you'll be able to go in a positive direction.

Becky

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views