Disney Food & Wine 3 weeks after surgery

Abby2015
on 8/26/15 10:17 am

Hi,  I'm having surgery September 9th and I have long standing plans to go to Food & Wine with some friends on October 3rd.  I'll still be in a soft food phase so I'm assuming I probably won't be able to eat anything.  The good news is that Disney is fine with people bringing food into the park so I can just pack a few protein shakes in my purse and I will get a lot of walking out of it.

If possible I would like to try one or two things though.  I think I'll be able to have the Cheddar Cheese soup in Canada.  Does anyone see anything else I could try?  Maybe the poached salmon? Will I be able to eat soft cheeses like brie?

Of course, no wine and no desserts.   

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-booths-menus-and-food-photos/

michellemj
on 8/26/15 11:04 am

Honestly, you may tire quickly with this sort of thing that close to your surgery. Pack shakes and lots of water. and be prepared to want to sit often.

I had a conference about 6 weeks out from my surgery and it ran me into the ground. I wouldn't consider a theme park, esp. one focused on food.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

frisco
on 8/26/15 11:14 am

I wouldn't go..... that simple.

But, the thought of the following year and 12 months of WL sounds awesome !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

emelar
on 8/26/15 11:55 am - TX

I wouldn't go.  Physically, you may be able to make it through the day, although tired.  Mentally, having a day centered around food and drink that you probably won't be able to eat or drink will be hard.  You're likely to be emotionally fragile....think cranky two year old!  Plus, I had a rule very early out that I never ate anything for the first time in public.  If you have a bad reaction to food, it's going to be very painful, scary and embarrassing.

Abby2015
on 8/26/15 12:05 pm

I have to go because we're using my husband's hotel points for the room, but I suppose I could just stay at the hotel.

I definitely will not eat at all though.  I didn't think about possible reactions to different foods!  

I'll bring water, protein shakes and plan on taking lots of breaks.  These are good friends and we go every year so they'll be fine with me sitting out part of it if needed.  

E_Saenz
on 8/26/15 6:11 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I totally get you want to go and honestly If you are you will get tired and risk dehydration in Florida heat I'm almost 14 days out and I find it very hard to do too much I'm having trouble drinking enough and I tire really easy.  I missed my nephew's wedding because I was just not in well enough shape to travel.  And honestly I'm not sure how much better I'll feel in two weeks but if you do go you may find yourself in the room resting or on a bench just be careful if you go.  And I hope you are different than I am.

Elia Maria Saenz

happyteacher
on 8/27/15 3:25 pm

IMHO you can go and just be darn sure you take care of yourself and make good choices. If you are willing to take your shakes, food, and water that is half the battle. Just don't get into the food there unless it is squarely on plan. Most of us can find items that are on plan when we go out. Just stay away from alcohol. Have a plan also of what you might do if you tucker out faster than your group. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jgreenlee12
on 8/26/15 12:54 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

I went to Epcot 3 weeks after surgery and i was totally exhausted after walking around awhile. It was not the best decision i ever made. If you are staying there and have plenty of time to take a lot of sit down breaks, it will probably be okay but we drove over for the evening and took the boat to Hollywood Studios too so it was a lot and i wished i hadn't done it later.

Abby2015
on 8/26/15 1:01 pm

Ha!  I just told my friends I'll need a lot of breaks and they've decided they'll just stick me in a wheelchair.  

Eggface
on 8/26/15 9:17 am, edited 8/26/15 9:18 am - Sunny Southern, CA

It was about 7 weeks till I felt "normal" tired easily, blues, etc. but sounds like not going is not an option... find some shady people watching spots, bring a book and bring oodles of water (dehydration and infection are the 2 biggest causes of hospital readmittance in the first 30 days post WLS) and protein shakes. I wouldn't really try much new, on the fly eating, talking while you are eating, etc. not something you want to do early on... peaceful, chewing well, not over eating, etc takes mindfulness and Disney/friends doesn't really lend itself to that... spending time in a restroom probably not on your list of must dos ;) Stop at the nearest supermarket and get a few things (yogurt, cottage cheese, 90 second bean pouches, tuna packets, whatever you are eating at the time, bring a soft day cooler, ask for ice at food stand, bring a ziploc, fill it if something needs to stay cool for a bit) and request a fridge in your room. Next trip you'll have lots of options and enjoy much more. 

Hope all goes well! ~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active