8 weeks post op...

micrene
on 8/27/15 4:33 pm - Melbourne, FL

So I am 8 weeks out and have lost a total of 42 pounds... 15 prior to surgery, 27 after.  I have not had any issues but I have discovered a few odd eating issues.

1. I can tolerate any foods, but when I eat meat (fish, chicken, turkey etc) I can only eat 2 maybe 3 bites even when chewed well, regardless of how it's cooked - grilled, broiled, boiled, crockpot, canned, etc.
  2. However, I can eat crackers (filled type), breads, or cheeses (hard, soft, sliced, cottage, etc) without any issues at all

Is this normal?  I almost feel like I should not eat meat at all as I cannot eat enough to make a difference in my protein consumption.  Hard boiled eggs are the same, unless mashed into egg salad.

Canned tuna in a tuna salad with mayo is the same as well... only 2 or 3 bites but I can add 3 or 4 crackers with no problem. 

Fruits about 4 bites depending on type, peanut or almond butter, about a tablespoon.  Cereal with milk about 1/4 cup is perfect.  Oatmeal, 3 bites.

How do you make a low carb diet work when your body digest best the very foods you should avoid??

Simone13
on 8/27/15 4:43 pm

Same here...meat is a struggle.  About 3 bites and that's a wrap.  I can do the canned no sugar mandarin oranges with no problem.  Crab meat goes down well.  Haven't tried bread yet.  I have a fear that it will fill up my stomach really fast.  So I still do a lot of soups.

rocky513
on 8/27/15 4:52 pm - WI

You are very early out from surgery and are still healing.  2 or 3 bites of meat might be all you can handle right now.  That is why we supplement with protein shakes to get enough protein right after surgery.  Your sleeve will mature and you will be able to eat a larger amount.  Right now your focus needs to be fluids and protein.  It does not matter if that protein is liquid or solid at two months out.  If you are taking your vitamins and getting your protein in (solid or shakes) you are getting the proper nutrition.  You won't starve.  

Your body will turn into a fat burning machine if you lay off the simple carbs.  Eating all the simple carbs will slow or stop your weight loss.  Crackers, bread, cereal, oatmeal, most fruits, etc. should be removed from your diet until you reach goal. Cheese, cottage cheese, lite Greek yogurt, mashed up or scrambled eggs, ricotta cheese with marinara sauce and mozzarella, deli meats (turkey, ham) rolled onto a piece of string cheese, re-fried beans with taco sauce,  are all good choices.  Remember, you don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. Many of us eat left-overs from the night before!

You can do this!  Don't fall into the trap of eating the "wrong foods" because they go down easier. You haven't given the "good foods" a chance.  Keep trying.  Sometimes it takes awhile for your new stomach to get with the program.  It took months for me to be able to eat eggs, but now I eat an egg daily!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

micrene
on 8/28/15 10:12 am - Melbourne, FL

I appreciate your reply as it makes complete sense.   I have done Atkins a few years ago so I get the jest of how it all works and I love meat.... but I have been very confused as to why my body seems to be the exact opposite now....SMH....

However... I realize now that easy to eat foods are just that ... easy so I don't have to think.   I will get it done... one way or the other. 

Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 8/27/15 5:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal.  Restriction is at it's max when it comes to dense proteins - that's why we're supposed to eat them.  

You shouldn't be eating crackers or breads, you should be sticking to dense proteins.  You "make the low carb diet work" by eating things that are low in carbs in small amounts. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/15 6:54 pm

I'm going to guess that you are on a plan that instructs you to get off protein drinks ASAP. I know of a surgeon who chides his patients if they are still on protein drinks at 8 weeks out.

I remember my doc was a bit that way, but I pointedly spelled it out for him. Once he understood what I really could manage he was happy to bend his rule for me.

So, if I may be so bold, since you asked how to make a low carb diet work when your body seems to digest best carb laden foods, I'd like to lay a plan out that is similar to what I did at your point (8 weeks out).

Breakfast - protein shake

Mid morning snack - 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt (if I could manage all of it).

Lunch - 2 slices deli ham or turkey with some Greek yogurt spread on it with some spice sprinkled on and then rolled up.

afternoon snack - protein shake

Dinner - However many bites I could eat of a protein (I always put out 2 oz, and the dogs always enjoyed finishing up for me). I would also make myself eat a couple of bites of vegetable that was, IMO, overcooked.

Evening snack - protein pudding or jello or a plain sugar free pudding. What I chose to eat depended on my stats so far for the day.

As you can see, I relied heavily on protein shakes and was simply training myself to eat "normal food" again. I had some ups and downs and even had a freak out because eating was such a chore and I went back to full liquids and purees for a few days. You have to do what you have to do to get the protein in and stay hydrated.

As nicely as I can I am going to encourage you to abstain from the crackers and the fruit and the bread and the cereals and the oatmeal and those heavy carb foods. There is science behind the low carb diet. The two things that I find most important are these:

1. Carbs convert very readily into blood glucose which the body will use first for energy. That prevents your body from using your stored fat for energy. A main goal of WLS is to rid the body of stored fat. By staying away from ALL refined carbs and processed foods (think flour products, sugar products, anything that comes in a package with a long list of ingredients, etc...)you will give your body a chance to utilize the stored fat which will, in turn, allow you to lose weight at a faster rate.

2. Carbs cause a rapid glucose rise and consequentially, a rapid rise and OVER PRODUCTION of insulin. This creates a difficult spiral of continued hunger throughout the day. Believe me, I'm no stranger to that cycle. Allow your body to recover from the carb cycle by staying away from them. You'll be so happy once you are really honestly free of the grip of carbs.

If you're worried about Starvation Mode, lowering your metabolism, etc... don't be. Starvation mode is junk science and has been disproved by numerous studies. You metabolism is going to slow down no matter what you do. You are losing weight, some muscle and eating very little. The good news is that your metabolism will recover once you hit your goal. It will take some time, but your metabolism will most likely be better than it is now.

You seem like you're in just the right place to me. I think if you don't force yourself and give yourself permission not to eat, you will feel so much better. Just make sure to get the protein and water in.

Smallbites2015
on 8/28/15 4:57 am

Great post. I'm right there with you. No carbs for me though after nasty bought with some crackers I try to stay as far away from carbs as possible. 

Still doing protein powder added to food but limited shakes as I can't tolerate the ones I did before surgery

Meat is still an issue for me too. I'm mostly vegetarian now

thanks for all the great suggestions

Grim_Traveller
on 8/28/15 5:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Well, yeah. This is what happens after WLS, and why we are supposed to eat dense protein first. If you were on an all cracker diet, you could easily be gaining weight, even at just 8 weeks out. You have very little restriction for certain things. Cheese is essentially a liquid -- you can let it melt in your mouth, and eat it all day long.

Dense protein has the most bang for your buck, and is low calorie. You'll be able to eat more than 2 or 3 bites before you know it. Do yourself a huge favor and get rid or the crackers and cereal now. For good. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

micrene
on 8/28/15 10:24 am - Melbourne, FL

Yes agreed. I have already decided to forego the crackers.  I should probably clarify...that I don't eat them all day, but I would have a pack at least 1 or 2 times a day to feel satisfied.   Head games with wants and needs.... I get it!  I just have to put my rebel self to bed when it comes to diet, satisfaction, and shoulda, coulda, woulda.....

#staythecourse

#iwilldothis

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/15 10:43 am

Here's a great tutorial by Frisco that explains why dense, high-quality proteins are essential to success with the sleeve:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/5366667/Frisco-Pyloric -Valve-101-The-Basics-re-re-re-re-re-repost/

Regarding crackers and anything else in the bread family -- eating anything made with refined flour is the exact same thing as eating sugar. Your body breaks the flour carbs down into sugars. In fact, if you chew on a cracker long enough, it will start to taste sweet, just from the breakdown it undergoes while chewing. Don't eat crackers at all. Or anything else that remotely resembles them. They do nothing for you nutritionally. What they are good at doing, though, is triggering cravings for more of the same. If you never eat crackers again in your life, your body will not miss them.

Don't mean to lecture, but I did some cracker nibbling myself early on after surgery. It is temporarily soothing, but like a false friend, it will send you in a direction you don't want to go.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views