Which U.S. surgeons do VSG on someone with a 32 BMI??

Hopeful7
on 9/2/15 10:59 am

I am considering VSG but my BMI is 32.

Does anyone know which surgeons, if any, will perform VSG on a patient with a BMI of 32 in the U.S.? 

I will be self pay because I know insurance won't cover it unless I'm 35 BMI. 

Thank you 

mickeymantle
on 9/2/15 11:53 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I beleave mine will , do you have any comorbilities

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Hopeful7
on 9/2/15 3:28 pm

Thanks for responding. I have high cholesterol.

I'm in SC and was hoping to find one closer. I checked with all the local surgeons and they won't do it unless I'm a 35 BMI. 

I found one in L.A., T.X., and C.A. so far that will do it. 

boudiceatx
on 9/2/15 10:02 am, edited 9/2/15 10:11 am

Sorry, I responded to your other post before reading this one.  I didn't realize you had had trouble locating someone in your area.  If you end up coming to Texas and want more information about my doctor, I'll be happy to give you all the details about cost, etc.

psychoticparrot
on 9/2/15 11:55 am

I'm guessing, but I think it would depend on the number and severity of your comorbidities.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

mickeymantle
on 9/2/15 11:56 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

O it is not listed on this forum anymore

so here is a web address

http://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/6412076/colin-maccoll-md-ratings#p-q1-5

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/2/15 12:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your best bet is to find a list of surgeons in your area, then call their offices and ask. The ASMBS has a directory of surgeons you can use to find someone nearby.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

boudiceatx
on 9/2/15 3:15 pm

My surgeon did a VSG on me with a BMI of 33.  His name is Dr. Matthew St Laurent in Houston, TX area. I'm really pleased with his care.

Hopeful7
on 9/2/15 3:51 pm

Thanks for answering! I'm in S.C. and was hoping to find one closer to me. If I decide to do this, I may end up having to pick between T.X. and L.A. 

boudiceatx
on 9/2/15 4:58 pm

You're welcome!  Good luck on your search.  I feel like you should be able to find someone in your area who is willing to do it as long as they feel there is a good reason to.

My only comorbidities were elevated cholesterol and I was in the pre-diabetic range.  I just explained to the physician that I was terrified of ending up diabetic, and I told him all of the different weight loss attempts I had made.

Just a warning when you call different places the front desk folks may tell you that your BMI isn't high enough, because they are so used to dealing with insurance.  I just told them I knew it wouldn't be covered by insurance, but I still wanted to make an appointment with the physician to discuss my options.  That got me in the door. 

I felt pretty hopeless when I first began my search, because I felt no one would be willing to help me at my BMI.  But, there are definitely people willing to help. 

Most Active