What was I thinking!! Major Disappointment

Simone13
on 9/2/15 9:14 am

I'm so disappointed in myself.  I almost 7 weeks post op.  I've lost 30 pounds and I feel great.  But I made a huge mistake and fell off the wagon.  I had a Banana milkshake and low and behold I gained 1 pound.  I'm completely holding myself accountable for my actions.  What was I thinking?  Back on track now.....protein shakes, soup and chicken.  Ughhh!!  Lol...I'm sure I'm not the only one who went left!! 

MissNexxie
on 9/2/15 9:26 am
VSG on 04/30/14

We have all done this. Period. None of us are perfect. its what brought us to the surgery in the first place. The key, as you said, is getting back on track. That's it. Be accountable (without shame).Accept the veer off course and steer yourself back. Seven weeks out is pretty early to go off plan so you must be hyper vigilant to no let it happen again. This is your honeymoon period, where your weight loss can be maximized so keep that in mind when you are tempted. Have something handy like water, beef jerky or a cheese string if you know you're going to be in a challenging food situation. Identify what triggered you so you can avoid it next time. (Like hunger, thirst or stress). It gets harder to say No the further out you are and you don't want to lose the momentum you have.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/2/15 9:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's SUPER important to develop good habits now to ensure future success, good for you getting back on track.

1lb isn't the end of the world, many folks have faced far greater regain! Soup, chicken, string cheese, yogurt, LOTS of good options out there :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

psychoticparrot
on 9/2/15 10:02 am

You're being too hard on yourself. It's just a minor setback, and one we've all made many times. Show me a sleever who says they never, ever, ate (or drank) something they should not have, and I'll show you a fibber. My personal biggie was eating a whole bag of my grandson's goldfish crackers. Immediately after they were eaten (why is it that we always make this resolve after eating the goodie?), I told myself, "You goofed. It's over. Get back on track." And I did, just as you did. Good job!

As for "what you were thinking," reason flies out the window when we give in to the wrong foods. I believe junk food is addictive. That banana milkshake was like heroin to a junkie. And our particular "heroin" is everywhere. Eating healthy foods (high-quality protein, fresh veg and fruit) will help diminish (but never entirely eliminate) those cravings.

Next time (and there will be a next time) you go off track, title your thread -- "Oops. Minor mistake. Back on track. All is well."

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Simone13
on 9/2/15 10:08 am

Hilarious!!!  What an awesome and real response!!!!  I agree that Banana Milkshake was like "Heroin"!!!  Too funny!!  I quickly got back on track the very next day.  To the grocery store I go to pick up some cheese and sugar free fudgesicles!!!  Whew!! Glad I confessed my evil sin!! Lol.... 

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/15 10:39 am

I was about 10 pounds above goal and 5 months out. I had gone to a WLS meet up and afterwards went exploring a charming downtown area with my partner. The main street was lined with gourmet food shops (bakeries, chocolatiers, coffee houses). My partner is a foodie. I got a wonderful dark roast coffee. My partner got a coffee, too, but checked out the bakeries and chocolate shops. He came back with several bags of goodies AND a FRIGGIN ICE CREAM!  I was strong and abstained until we got into the car and then he offered me a lick of ice cream and that was all it took. I shared the ice cream, ate a chocolate and a half a brownie. I lost all thought of healthy eating and weight loss for about 10 minutes. Then reality hit. I felt sick, puked in a bag while driving about an hour later, and put it behind me.

We didn't get obese because we have a healthy relationship with food. You've done great being honest with yourself and being accountable. This is a process. Having surgery does not change our relationship with food over night. You are doing GREAT!

Simone13
on 9/2/15 11:10 am

This is too funny!!!  I love these stories!!!  Thank you for those encouraging words!!!  It was happy hour at Steak and Shake and my daughter ordered her double steak burger with fries and an Oreo milkshake.  Milkshakes were half price at the time. So I sipped hers while we were waiting on her food and good Lord that was it for me I ordered the Banana one.  I'm not gonna beat myself up over it....like you said it's behind me now and all is well!!  This was to funny! Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Tracy D.
on 9/2/15 12:48 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's something to think about next time:  "I've never, ever regretted NOT eating something".

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Dan1962
on 9/2/15 2:15 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Amen!

FuturePinUp
on 9/3/15 7:42 am

Hahaha! I think I have major issues because I 100% totally have. Still do! 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active