Pondering...

davenportcrd0106
on 9/9/15 6:33 am

My insurance requires 6 months of Nutritional counseling.  I have one more visit to go!  However, due to the timing and work schedule, I will not be able to schedule surgery until after the first of the year.  Bummed!  I have changed my diet to a low carb as instructed by the NUT and even joined a gym! (First time ever!)  I initally lost 10 lbs and have gained back 5.  The extra months has given me ALOT of time to think if I want to have WLS.  My starting weight was 215lbs, BMI was 37 with about 4 different comorbidities.  ( I am 50 yrs old and totally unhealthy! ! ! )  The comorbidities alone makes me confident that this is the right decision.  My thoughts then turn to other things like extra skin hanging and hair falling out.  Has anyone else have this problem and how did you deal with it?

joanne0658
on 9/9/15 8:32 am

this is your personal journey . . . . .we're all so very different.  work up to the time of scheduling surgery and then make a decision at that point . . . . .gather as much info as possible . . . . lay it out . . . look, "ponder", question, reflect . . . . and repeat for good measure.  you'll know when you know what the best path for you is . . . . and enjoy the journey . . .put aside stress or second guessing . . . . 

jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

psychoticparrot
on 9/9/15 8:47 am

Congrats on your decision to make a huge change in your health and well-being! I wish I had had the option of sleeve surgery when I was 50 (I'm in my mid-60s). I had the surgery in early February of this year. I've lost some hair but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I'm not at my goal weight yet, but at 5'1" and a high weight of 275, I've got plenty of extra skin already. I've decided to wait until I get to goal before deciding what to do with the extra skin. At my age, appearance is definitely low on the list of reasons to have plastic surgery. I just want to feel comfortable. I think a panneculectomy (abdominal lift) may be the only thing I'll need. 

Those who have reached goal and undergone plastic procedures are the best people to advise you.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

FuturePinUp
on 9/9/15 8:54 am

Extra skin is an unfortunate side effect of being overweight for long periods of time, whether or not you lose via surgery or not. Depending on genetics, age, and time spent overweight, you are at risk for excess skin no matter how you lose, so I wouldn't let that deter me from surgery. 

It's certainly not an easy decision and it's important to weigh all possible scenarios. For me, after struggling with my weight for most of my life and getting heavier and heavier year after year, it was a natural choice. After all, I've tried it all before and failed. No regrets whatsoever.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/9/15 8:58 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well at this point I do have some extra skin but compression garments are my friend right now, plus we're entering the time of year where its gonna get colder, so I'll be more covered up. I'm still actively losing weight & will get plastics after I'm at goal for awhile, plus I'll have to save up for it anyway. 

As far as the hair falling out, I really didn't have that problem, plus most times I wear a scarf on top of my head or a wig for the other times. No fuss, no muss. Besides if I have a choice between sleeping late or messing with my hair, I choose sleep. lol

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cappy11448
on 9/9/15 9:32 am

Yup, I've had hanging skin and hair fall out, and the post-op period of adjusting to the new tummy wasn't fun.  But I'd do it again in a second to have the health and energy I have now.  I started at 385 pounds with a BMI of 60 and the weight was truly killing me and severely limiting my life.  I now wear a size 14 rather than a tight 5x, and I look good in my clothing - (which is a thrill to someone whose been overweight so long! 

The hair grows back.  I had to use a mousse for extra body for a few months, but it was temporary and I survived.  I had plastic surgery to remove the excess skin on my tummy, and my tummy now looks like it did when I was a teen.  It makes me feel so good - more than I ever expected. 

Its not an easy process.  And its not a cure.  Its just a tool to help you manage the obesity.  I still have to be diligent or I'd gain the weight back again.  But the surgery makes it possible and that's enough for me.

best wishes on your journey

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/15 12:34 pm

Hello Carol, If you do not mind me asking how old were you when you had the surgery. I am 50 I am still going through all my trials that my insurance requires. I also worried about saggy skin and hair loss. I love my long thick hair. Do you know if plastic surgery is covered at all with insurance or will this be a something you have to pay out of pocket.

Thanks

cappy11448
on 9/9/15 1:19 pm

I was 64 when I had surgery, and I came thru it like a champ.  Very little pain, no nausea (thanks to the anti-nausea drugs I requested!) and I went home a day early because I was doing so well.  I don't think you need to be concerned about your age.  Many people have surgery thru their 60's.

Some insurances will cover a penectomy (sp?) which is removal of the skin from the abdomen.  Usually it is only covered if it is medically necessary because of a history of severe rashes.  My insurance did not cover it, so I paid out-of-pocket.  Also most people choose to have a tummy tuck or lower-body-lift, both of which turn out better than the minimal surgery that insurance will cover. 

I am so glad I had the tummy tuck.  My tummy looks like it did when I was a teen again.  It was more important to me than I realized to look good again.  You can look at pictures pre- and post tummy tuck on my profile.  Its pretty amazing.

good luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/15 2:12 pm

That sounds Amazing! Thanks for sharing Carol.

I will look at your pictures. I hope i can afford the tummy tuck. I do know i will not be happy with my tummy sagging. 

I will keep you posted on my surgery date.

Thank again,

Tracy D.
on 9/9/15 11:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hair falling out -- I was very fearful of that and ended up losing at least half my hair.  It grew back - mostly. 

Hanging skin - it's gonna happen.  I ended up just getting a lower body lift to address the worst of it.  I still have body image issues and work with a therapist on it. 

Would I do it all over again?  A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!  Being a normal weight and healthy for the first time in my adult life is the most fantastic experience.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active