2 Burning question

kyzze
on 9/27/15 1:51 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

1) If I get the sleeve, will I never be able to drink coffee with a little cream in it?

kyzze
on 9/27/15 1:52 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

My other question is how do you manage to eat and not drink at the same time? I tried it and it was so hard!

Neesie57
on 9/27/15 9:50 am
VSG on 08/04/15

Before I had the surgery I tried to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink, but I just couldn't do it.  After surgery, I have had no problem with it.  When my stomach is full of my two ounces of food, the last thing I want to do it drink something that will make me fuller.  I just eat my meal, then set my alarm on my phone for 30 minutes later.  When the alarm goes off I can drink again.  It will be easier than you think once you know what the restriction feels like.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

kyzze
on 9/27/15 1:52 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

My other question is how do you manage to eat and not drink at the same time? I tried it and it was so hard!

Torrianne0206
on 9/28/15 4:54 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hello,

I do not even put a drink onto the dinner table with my meal. This way I have no urge or temptation to sip while I eat because it is not there starting at me.

Hope this helps!

Torrianne

ElizaM
on 9/28/15 5:59 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I tried it pre-op and I thought it would be impossible, but you really do get into the habit pretty quickly.

For me, the part I hated the most was way my food flavors would linger after eating. So I chew gum or eat a chewable calcium supplement. 

Especially in the beginning, the thought of eating and drinking at the same time will be so uncomfortable, you won't even be tempted. I once accidentally swallowed a swig of water after eating and I felt like I was going to throw up! I never did that again. You'll acclimate in those first weeks and months post op, and then it will become habit.

As for coffee, I love my coffee. I probably started drinking it at about 2-3 months post op and I drink coffee and light cream. Probably 2-3 cups a day of half caf. I find a little light cream very filling, actually. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Donna L.
on 10/1/15 7:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh, the gum is a great idea post-op!  I was having that issue with the lingering food flavors the other day.  I'm definitely going to do that. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Bufflehead
on 9/27/15 2:22 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I'm sitting here with a big mug of coffee right now. I like my coffee black but there is no reason I couldn't put a small splash of cream in if I wanted to. But check with your surgeon about his/her post-op guidelines. I was given decaf in the hospital the day after surgery but had to wait a couple of months to go back to real coffee. It sucked but I got through it

As far as not drinking and eating together goes, yes, you can learn to do that. The way you eat now is just a habit. Force yourself to change. At first it is hard, but keep practicing the new habit and eventually it becomes second nature. Pretty much all of us learned to do it and we aren't special snowflakes. You can do it too!

kyzze
on 9/27/15 4:01 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thank you so much for the reassurance! I don't think I could live without my coffee!

suzyq584
on 9/28/15 9:00 am

I've also heard of sleevers using vanilla protein drinks for creamer in coffee. 

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Most Active