Post - Op Full Fluids

Jennifer G.
on 10/4/15 4:46 am

Hi,

I'm day 5 post-op and doing great after a rough first days. I'm curious though; there seems to be a huge varience on how different doctors tell their patients how to progress to regular foods. My doc insists on 4 weeks full fluids, followed by 4 weeks of mushy/shredded foods before moving up to regular foods.

Just wondering what other VSG patients were told by their docs?

cappy11448
on 10/4/15 6:16 am

My program progressed us faster. I had two weeks clear fluid, two weeks full fluids, and then to solids, telling us to chew well. I didn't have any trouble, but shortly after I went thru the process they changed it because some people were having trouble. Its best to stick with your doctor's recommendation because all sleeves aren't equal. Your doctor knows what works for his sleeves.

Its worth taking the time because our tummies need time to heal. Try to enjoy the weight loss. You are on your way to better health.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LisaKelley
on 10/4/15 6:22 am

Hi I am 6 days pot op

My doctor says the same. liquids for 4 weeks. My post op is the 15th. maybe they will changeit then.

I have trouble with the protein shakes. Very difficult for me.

How are you doing?

I have trouble with the shakes. I feel emotional at night.

The pain isnt too bad except in the morning.

I had complications and was in the hospital for 6 days.

A lot of swelling, was dealing with spasms in my stomach.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGoSSrA/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGoSSrA/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Jennifer G.
on 10/4/15 6:41 am

LisaKelley - I don't mind the premier protein shakes from Costco, but I got so sick of the protein powder in the smoothies and asked the nutritionist who works with the Doctor for other suggestions. She told me that Greek yogurt has as much protein as those awful powders and it tastes delicious! 3/4 cup had 15 grams. I use it as the main liquid component in the smoothies and add a little milk if needed (more protein). Before surgery I could drink the smoothie for breakfast, but now I sip on it for about 2-3 hours, lol. I also try to eat a little bit of Greek yogurt throughout the day. 2-3 spoonfuls fills me up.

At this point I'm not even counting protein - It's impossible to get it all in until my stomach heals. I'm just trying to increase my fluid intake a little bit at a time. I'm having soups, smoothies, premier shakes, tea, Popsicles, and I tried jello but it fills me up too much right now.

The pain is way better now. My husband orders pizza for himself and the kids and I got a little emotional because I couldn't share in it with them. It smelled so good! I just left the room and put on some music.

I hated being in the hospital and can't imagine being there for 6 days!! I'm a bit of a germaphobe and couldn't stand being in a ward with 3 other patients (no private rooms available).

Good luck with your recovery!

Neesie57
on 10/4/15 1:48 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I had full fluids for two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Then mushy foods for 6 weeks. Tomorrow, I go back to the nutritionist to find out the next step. I'm really excited to add something to my daily routine.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

KathyA999
on 10/4/15 1:59 pm

Mine was 10 days clear liquids, 10 days full liquids, 10 days puree/mushy, then regular food as tolerated. It worked well for me, and I took it slow.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/4/15 2:12 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are as many different plans as there are doctors.

I think it's critical at first to stick to YOUR doctor's plan for you. From what I've observed, people who start mixing and matching -- thinking, well, this plan allows this food, this other plan allows that -- those people end up struggling.

Part of how we got obese was making our own eating plan. That pretty much failed miserably, or we wouldn't be here. So sticking to the plan you were given develops new habits and new discipline, which we all badly needed. Don't substitute.

Along the way, you'll learn a lot more, about food and yourself. You'll end up developing your own plan for long term success. But for the short term, just follow your plan to the letter.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

FuturePinUp
on 10/5/15 9:10 am

I was progressed at lighting speed. The hospital that did my surgery had us progress to mush and pureed foods Day 1 post op (I had tuna salad in the hospital, after I was successfully able to get down water, and then broth). I fully trust my surgeon and clinic (My surgeon is on the medical advisory board for this site, and the Head of Bariatric Surgery at my hospital), and so far, I have had a perfect recovery with 0 gas pains, stalls, whatever!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Tiki3211
on 10/6/15 7:13 pm

You hear so many different post-op programs on this forum. Mine is much more progressive. First let me say..my doctor only had me on clear liquids for three days prior to surgery and then for the first week, then I progressed to full liquids for a week, weeks three & four soft foods, week five adds shaved deli meat, baked soft fish, week six adds more foods and then by week seven I'm on complete solid foods. After this point each week an additional food is added. Keep in mind, I am only 8 days out from surgery, but so far so good. Hope this helps.

Tiki3211
on 10/6/15 7:15 pm
Most Active