How to explain Upcoming VSG/WLS to Kids

Blueowlb23
on 10/4/15 4:37 pm

So, my SIL posed an interesting question to me at family dinner tonight, which I didn't know the answer to and which I thought I'd bring here.

She asked whether there was any advice/opinions about how to tell young kids about my planned VSG/WLS at end of October. I don't have any kids of my own yet, but have young nieces & nephews ranging from ages 12 down to 2 1/2. I have an especially inquisitive and bright 6yr. old niece who my Brother & SIL want to be upfront with as I've had medical situations in the past and who will most likely notice any weight loss and the change in eating habits (tiny portions, etc.). Especially because of weekly family dinners, holidays, etc. Any advice from those that have been through this? Is it best to be upfront ahead of time, especially with small school aged children?

This is all foreign territory to me so any feedback is appreciated.

"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Andersen

Age: 33, Height: 5' 4", hw (at consultation): 297, sw(10/27/15): 281, cw(06/05/16): 209

Oneillch
on 10/4/15 5:46 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

How about simply telling them that the doctor is giving you a tool to use so you can lose weight and be healthy and happier. If they ask further, explain how but in very simple terms. Good luck!

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 10/4/15 6:24 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I told my 6-year old that the doctors made the inside of my tummy smaller to help me make better food choices and be healthier so that I could do fun things with him like riding bikes.

JoeyJo
on 10/5/15 9:38 am - NJ

I told my grandsons that I had to get my stomach "fixed" because I did not take care of myself, overate and did not exercise for so many years, that it was almost impossible for me to become healthy without surgery. I told them that it would not be easy and they should take care of themselves so they never have to go through this.

The reason I told them all of this is because one of my friends' mothers had a tummy tuck when I was really young and as I gained weight it was always in the back of my mind that I could just get a tummy tuck one day. I don't want them to overeat and gain weight (as my family is genetically predisposed) with the thought that they could just get VSG one day.

psychoticparrot
on 10/5/15 5:33 pm

So far, my grandson has not commented on my WL, and I've been wondering what to tell him when he does. Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks, Blueowlb23, for starting the thread.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

hollykim
on 10/5/15 6:07 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 4, 2015 at 11:37 PM Pacific Time, Blueowlb23 wrote:

So, my SIL posed an interesting question to me at family dinner tonight, which I didn't know the answer to and which I thought I'd bring here.

She asked whether there was any advice/opinions about how to tell young kids about my planned VSG/WLS at end of October. I don't have any kids of my own yet, but have young nieces & nephews ranging from ages 12 down to 2 1/2. I have an especially inquisitive and bright 6yr. old niece who my Brother & SIL want to be upfront with as I've had medical situations in the past and who will most likely notice any weight loss and the change in eating habits (tiny portions, etc.). Especially because of weekly family dinners, holidays, etc. Any advice from those that have been through this? Is it best to be upfront ahead of time, especially with small school aged children?

This is all foreign territory to me so any feedback is appreciated.

I told my grandchildren that my stomach was broken and didnt work right sand the doctor was going to fix it. They never really noticed the weight loss and none of them remember me being fat

Most Active