Not sure how to count proteins...help?

Sunshine411
on 10/9/15 10:22 am

Ok four weeks post op was ha paving two protein shakes a day (24 pro each) was eating like sample in my nut book showed example ...B. 4T oatmeal thin lunch 2 oz lean turkey /cooked veggie dinner...2/3 oz tuna n cooked veggie"... Now I was getting 60 proteins or close to it..called nut she said oh,,,you don't need veggies just protein only...drop the veggies eat 2-3 oz protein each meal and drop shake to one a day???

so do I not eat the thinhpgs on my list oatmeal,Greek yogurt,etc....other if I do how do I count? I know the Greek yogurt is 100 calories for the 5.4 0z container n has 12 proteins....but how do go about figuring how many oz of protein I'm getting in the meal...lol...am I making this to hard? A yogurt I am assuming 4 oz is considered one ounce of protein is this right? Help me...she won't return my calls. Ty....so so much!!!

Tracy D.
on 10/9/15 10:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You need to use a food tracking program like My Fitness Pal. It calculates all that for you and keeps a running tally so you don't have to wonder if you're hitting your protein goals or not.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

hollykim
on 10/9/15 10:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 9, 2015 at 5:22 PM Pacific Time, Sunshine411 wrote:

Ok four weeks post op was ha paving two protein shakes a day (24 pro each) was eating like sample in my nut book showed example ...B. 4T oatmeal thin lunch 2 oz lean turkey /cooked veggie dinner...2/3 oz tuna n cooked veggie"... Now I was getting 60 proteins or close to it..called nut she said oh,,,you don't need veggies just protein only...drop the veggies eat 2-3 oz protein each meal and drop shake to one a day???

so do I not eat the thinhpgs on my list oatmeal,Greek yogurt,etc....other if I do how do I count? I know the Greek yogurt is 100 calories for the 5.4 0z container n has 12 proteins....but how do go about figuring how many oz of protein I'm getting in the meal...lol...am I making this to hard? A yogurt I am assuming 4 oz is considered one ounce of protein is this right? Help me...she won't return my calls. Ty....so so much!!!

no, 4 ounces of yogurt is not necessarily "one protein". Protein is measured in grams,so you have to read every label to see how many grams of protein are in everything,then you have to check the serving size on the label. Myfitnesspal.com is the easiest way to go.

i don't know why your NUT told you that about the oatmeal and veggies,but I wouldn't eat oatmeal or pasta or anything carby in the weight

so's phase. They just slow weight loss down and we don't really need them.

NYMom222
on 10/9/15 12:27 pm, edited 10/9/15 5:27 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It is not that you can't eat veggies, but there really isn't much room and you need to get your protein first. 60grams protein is the minimum. Using something like My Fitness Pal is the most accurate. If I am trying to get general idea most proteins(beef-chicken-fish) have approx. 7g per ounce as well as 7g in an egg or 1/4c cottage cheese. That is my quick version for estimating my protein. Greek Yogurt is good to eat. usually about 12 for the small cup. After a month I was down to one shake/protein drink a day and still have that. I try to make sure they are 30g or close to it between the powder and the milk (Fairlife Milk has more protein) or drink the Premier which has 30g. At 4 weeks I was released to eat any protein and cooked veggie. I had to wait until 8 weeks for salad, but salad didn't really agree with me until after 3 months. I found the key was small bites, make sure it is moist, and chew, chew, chew. It makes the transition easier.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sunshine411
on 10/9/15 5:23 pm

Thanks for the help...I finally got a call back...she explained to me I should try and get 20 proteins in per three meals a day...when I can do this everyday for a week I can eliminate protein shake. I like my shake...lol...want to keep drinking it later for meal substitution like breakfast since I'm not a breakfast person will that be possible? Or protein bars. Do people eat these in place of shake or meal or snacks? I'm not the type of person to sit down n eat three meals a day like I'm trying to do now. I am more like the person who breaks her meals into five or six...is this allowed...thanks everyone I do have my fitness pal loaded now n going to track n wearing a Fitbit and walking as well.

White Dove
on 10/9/15 6:46 pm - Warren, OH

I do five or six small meals every day. I have a protein shake or protein bar when I don't want to fix a meal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NYMom222
on 10/9/15 8:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

In order to get 20g protein at a meal you would have to eat 3 oz of protein. That is a lot. 1 1/2-2 oz is more normal at one month out. I usually have a shake and eat 3 more times a day sometimes 4. Doc said I could eat up to 6 if I needed... they would rather have you eat less at one time than more. If you like the shakes I wouldn't worry about continuing them. Honestly meals and snacks aren't all that different. In the beginning I could never east more than 1/2 a bar at a time. To me they are more a taking with me in case I got hungry....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sunshine411
on 10/10/15 7:55 am

Yes, I agree 3 oz is a lot...the most I have been able to eat at one time is 2 oz. and the Wes one time usually I can do 1 1/2. She was saying to try n work my way up to 3 oz n at that point when I can do it at every meal if eating three meals a day...then omit all shakes. I myself, like the idea of eating three smaller meals n having the snacks in between...mid morning mid afternoon n evening if hungry. I really do like the protein shakes n would have no problem drinking them for breakfast. She said try for 60 proteins a day if I can get more should I or not? Ty.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/10/15 11:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Most people are recommended to get 60 - 80g protein per day, and there's not much of a drawback to going higher than that (as long as you're not dumb about it).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views