Substitute for Iron, has anyone had problems with supplement?

Billy D.
on 10/13/15 2:00 pm

I can't tolerate the iron. Even when it is in the multi vitamin chewable. It hurts my stomach for hours after and makes my mouth water like I'm going to puke.

Was wondering if during my puree stage I could just blend up some liver, anyone tried that? It says that beef liver has more iron than my supplement.

By the way, the Iron hurt my stomach before the surgery. 20 yrs ago when I had bad accident and after I received a blood transfusion I became anemic. I was fed liver and onions by the hospital where I was staying in Dominican Republic. It's not bad, it smells way better than it tastes. They did that because I couldn't take the supplement even than. They also gave me aloe vera juice which I did not like but I'm not sure what that was for. The surgery I had was on my stomach area.

hollykim
on 10/13/15 2:43 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 13, 2015 at 9:00 PM Pacific Time, Billy D. wrote:

I can't tolerate the iron. Even when it is in the multi vitamin chewable. It hurts my stomach for hours after and makes my mouth water like I'm going to puke.

Was wondering if during my puree stage I could just blend up some liver, anyone tried that? It says that beef liver has more iron than my supplement.

By the way, the Iron hurt my stomach before the surgery. 20 yrs ago when I had bad accident and after I received a blood transfusion I became anemic. I was fed liver and onions by the hospital where I was staying in Dominican Republic. It's not bad, it smells way better than it tastes. They did that because I couldn't take the supplement even than. They also gave me aloe vera juice which I did not like but I'm not sure what that was for. The surgery I had was on my stomach area.

the real question is can you eat that much liver every day for the rest of your life?

i recommend Proferrin heme iron or Tender iron by Www.vitalady.com.

Billy D.
on 10/13/15 3:12 pm, edited 10/13/15 8:25 am
Grim_Traveller
on 10/13/15 2:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are lots of different types of iron. Ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate, or any of the ferrous salts can be hard on the digestive system. Try carbonyl iron or heme iron. The carbonyl is less expensive. It's unlikely you'll be drinking enough pureed liver to get your iron.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Billy D.
on 10/13/15 3:24 pm, edited 10/13/15 8:55 am
Bufflehead
on 10/13/15 3:05 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I would say, if you haven't, make sure you get tested to see if you even need iron supplements. Many men (I'm making an assumption based on your username) don't, even on a limited calorie diet.

I do agree with the suggestion to try carbonyl iron, heme iron, etc. I also used liquid iron post-op (Wellesse brand) and found it much easier to tolerate than other forms. Good luck to you!

Billy D.
on 10/13/15 3:55 pm
Most Active