Unusual Acid Reflux Episode (14 months post-op)

Pamela M.
on 11/4/15 7:13 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I had an unusual experience last night and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience. I am 14 months post-op. I take one 20mg Prilosec each day (also had hiatal hernia repaired during sleeve procedure). My heartburn has been minimal since surgery. This morning, I woke up at 4:00AM with a HORRIBLE burning sensation in my throat and chest - it was so painful I thought I might be having a heart attack and considered calling 911 - and I am not an alarmist. I went to the restroom and was able to spit up thick yellow acid but it was as if it were coming from my throat - not from my tummy. Sorry for the gory details. I sat in my recliner for a couple of hours afterwards. I feel fine now - been drinking lots of water this morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? I hope it never happens again.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Tracy D.
on 11/4/15 8:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

That would be acid reflux. I've woken up choking on the acid in my throat - a horrible feeling!

You can develop this condition months and even years out. I've been able to get my under control with a prescription PPI (Protonix) but a friend of mine needed a revision to RNY because nothing worked for her.

Talk to your doctor right away about getting on something more powerful than Prilosec.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Pamela M.
on 11/4/15 9:17 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Thank you Tracy. In retrospect, I'm sure it was acid reflux - I've just never experienced it that painful before. I have sent a message to my surgeon's office. Whew, that will teach me not to eat anything after dinner! Geez Louise!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 10:33 am

Ditto what Tracy said. Prilosec is pretty mild. You need a good 'un, like Protonix. I take just one a day and have NO PROBLEMS now.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views