And it is gallstones...

happyteacher
on 11/29/15 3:59 pm

Just updating on the changes that have been occurring 4 years post op in case there are others that may be experiencing something similar. This past summer my stomach aches and such were such a problem I could no longer keep solid food down. Went to a gastro doc and was scoped and put on 40 mg of acid reducer to get that under control, and told to call back if prior to the 6 month follow up I had issues. It helped a lot, but still found that I was having periods of an ache in the abdomen, bloating, nausea, and such. Went back, and they ordered an ultrasound to check the gallbladder. Just read the results online and they found gall stones. Haven't chatted with the doc about the results yet, but I am thinking this is going to take a surgery to remove the gall bladder. Anyway, the symptoms for both the acid and the gall bladder were identical and occurring simultaneously, which seems in hindsight to have slowed down the confirmation of the gall stones. Just a heads-up for anyone that may be going through it. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/29/15 4:21 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On November 29, 2015 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

Just updating on the changes that have been occurring 4 years post op in case there are others that may be experiencing something similar. This past summer my stomach aches and such were such a problem I could no longer keep solid food down. Went to a gastro doc and was scoped and put on 40 mg of acid reducer to get that under control, and told to call back if prior to the 6 month follow up I had issues. It helped a lot, but still found that I was having periods of an ache in the abdomen, bloating, nausea, and such. Went back, and they ordered an ultrasound to check the gallbladder. Just read the results online and they found gall stones. Haven't chatted with the doc about the results yet, but I am thinking this is going to take a surgery to remove the gall bladder. Anyway, the symptoms for both the acid and the gall bladder were identical and occurring simultaneously, which seems in hindsight to have slowed down the confirmation of the gall stones. Just a heads-up for anyone that may be going through it. 

Was the pain in your abdomen only? Middle? Sides? Swallowing, or all the time?

I hope yhey can fix you up. Nothing worse than NOT finding the problem, because then they can't fix it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 11/29/15 4:46 pm

Depends on what time period we are talking about. The recent bout is pain just below the rib cage on the right side. Some bouts seem to bother my back (shoulder blade area) as well. During the summer though when I suspect both were going on I would have identified the pain as being more centrally under the rib cage. The recent bout would come in spurts- sometimes no issues at all, but when acting up the pain would return with the bloating and nausea. Swallowing is not an issue. I did notice in late summer I seemed to have a persistent cough and hoarse throat that I associated with the acid issues, but I have a lot of allergies so couldn't rule out for certain it was that or perhaps simply a cold. It comes right back though when I forget to take my omanprazole, so I still lean toward it being acid. Hopefully this is the cause of the issues that remain. The problem with the generalized pain, bloating, and nausea is that it could be caused by a lot of different things. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/15 5:34 pm

I'm glad they did the ultra sound so quickly. I went 7 years with undiagnosed gallbladder disease because the NP I saw was anti obese people and chocked up my symptoms to and I quote, "You eat like crap. Look at your weight. You have acute gastritis caused by your diet." I was put on ranitidine. When I had an acute attack about a month after that my PCP took the NPs diagnosis over my testament that this was not gastritis! He assured me it was because my pain was on the left, not the right. (Turns out many men have pain on the left rather than the right with gallbladder disease...)By the time I was diagnosed with gallbladder disease, it was emergency surgery time! Of course, I had a field trip the next day, so I begged to put if off until after the field trip! LOL!

ubserved
on 11/29/15 8:57 pm

You should have filed a formal complaint against that NP. That is definitely a big no no by the licensing board.

happyteacher
on 11/30/15 3:58 pm

Wow, that is a pile of BS on the part of the PCP. You are more patient and kinder than I am Karik. Had that been told to me I would of switched doctor's in a hot second if for no other reason the unprofessional conduct. Not to mention he dismissed potentially very serious symptoms based on his bias- no bueno. Now the field trip I can relate to. Our profession kills themselves (literally) trying to make sure the classroom is taken care of. 

dudearino
on 11/29/15 8:33 pm

Had my galbladder out a year and a half before my VSG.  That was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life.  First attach thought I was having a heart attack, middle of the night camping with my daughter had to call the ambulance.  There was no pain medicine they could give me that did anything, 10 out of 10 pain, had to ride it out for 2 hours.  Good luck, hope you don't get any serious attacks.

The Dude Abides

happyteacher
on 11/30/15 4:00 pm

I feel blessed. It hurts, but nothing crazy like that. At least for now :)

lowbrass03
on 11/30/15 5:24 am - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12

Hello,

3 years out myself, and have been feeling lousy for like 6 months. The only foods I could tolerate were carbs which caused (conscious not deliberate) weight gain. I have been to busy with work and school, so kept the symptoms in the back burner. 

I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago  and they told me I had a gallbladder full of stones. Had it removed this past Friday. Black Friday! Lol i was expecting the stones to come, so I want surprised. It just had to happen in one of the busiest times of my entire life. But what can we do. 

I hope you find relief soon. 

Best of luck to you

javier 

happyteacher
on 11/30/15 4:02 pm

I hear you about the schedule. If the doc says surgery I will be negotiating a surgery that allows recovery over the holiday. Not sure if that is a choice, but gonna try!

Most Active