15 pound weightloss

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/15 4:28 pm

The Nurse wants me to lose 15 pounds within a month before I see the surgeon.. anybody know why?

Oneillch
on 11/30/15 5:26 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Ask her why & ask her how she thinks you should go about doing that as well. She should have given you some guidance other than just lose 15 lbs.

cappy11448
on 11/30/15 6:56 pm

Sometimes they want to create some extra space so they can maneuver with the laparoscopic tools.  I was told they couldn't do the surgery until I lost 50 pounds because my tummy was so solid, there wasn't room to work. 

Good luck with your weight loss.  Any weight you lose before surgery will be a big help at getting you to goal sooner, especially at the end when weight loss slows down. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

ubserved
on 12/1/15 12:49 am

Part of it is to see your level of commitment. Also the more weight you lose prior to surgery, the more your liver shrinks and makes it safer for the surgeon to perform the procedure.

Tracy D.
on 12/1/15 12:56 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Huh, interesting...if I could have lost 15 pounds in a month I wouldn't have needed the surgery!  Her request seems ridiculously unrealistic to me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 12/1/15 2:25 pm

My surgeon wanted me to lose 30 pounds in the three months preceding my surgery. Here are the reasons he gave me:

1. The more weight I could lose before surgery, the less I'd have to lose after surgery, sort of like getting a head start. 
  2. The more weight I could lose before surgery, the surgery itself would be easier and safer -- less internal fat and enlarged liver for the surgeon to maneuver around and less time under anesthesia.
  3. To start developing right away the good eating habits that would be essential for weight loss after surgery (this one didn't make much sense to me; if I had it in me to develop good eating habits pre-surgery, then why undergo the surgery).

All pretty good reasons, right? Here's how well I did -- I lost nothing. It took a herculean effort on my part just to maintain my weight during those three months. I told my surgeon this, and he was okay with it. He understood that was the best I could do. I did finally lose 10 pounds a week before the surgery, but that was from the pre-op liquid diet (Note: when you get to this stage, stick with the liquids; they're important for your safety during surgery).

If you can lose weight before surgery, please do so, for the first and second reasons alone.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/15 3:43 pm

she gave me a food journal and what foods I should eat, but she also said I have 6 month supervised diet through uhc after I meet my surgeon on the 21st of this month. I was wondering will this 15 pounds help with the insurance company. instead of 6 months maybe a shorter supervised diet.

psychoticparrot
on 12/1/15 7:20 pm

My insurance required that I have 6 months' worth of monthly sessions with a nutritionist; they did not require that I lose any weight to qualify for surgery. The 30-pound requirement was from my surgeon, and it turned out to be more of a suggestion that a requirement. I don't know the specifics of your insurance, but it seems contradictory to require weight loss as a prerequisite to approval for weight-loss surgery.

psychoticparrot

Most Active