Today is Not the Day ....

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 2:03 pm, edited 11/29/15 6:06 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I've been successfully maintaining my weight for almost 2.5 years. About six weeks ago, the scale ticked up to my 'red zone' number so I reduced my calories by 500 per day to take my weight back down to a little below my goal weight. I achieved that a couple of days ago (yay) but had committed to staying in weight loss mode for a few more days to ensure my weight stabilized at the right number before increasing my calories again. 

I've had some GI troubles since then so my weight is even lower than I had planned for but I know it's merely a reflection of the many trips I made to the toilet :-). TMI right?  The reason I'm telling you this is I'm still sorting out whether my weight will hold at the 'right' number. That means this morning I committed to staying in calorie reduction mode. 

So my husband just walked in the door with a peach pie.  I want some. I could easily afford the unplanned calories, right?  But today is not the day for pie.  I won't because I made the commitment to stay in calorie reduction mode until  I'm certain the scale has stabilized around the number I was aiming for.  

Depending on what tomorrow's number is, I may have a piece of pie then. Or the next day.  And yes I want it now! The point of my post is that I committed to calorie reduction today and I don't have enough calories left to have that piece of pie.  

No matter what point you're at in your personal journey, I want to encourage you to stick with whatever you've committed to today. Being deliberate in our actions is important and I believe it's correlated with ongoing success. Am I this deliberate every day? Nope. And when I'm not, I forgive myself and move on.   But I do best and feel best when I stick with my daily intention! 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/15 3:06 pm

AMEN! Wishing you the strength and all the encouragement you need to stick to your plan today. Isn't a ***** how our little obesity cheerleader is always at the ready to cheer us on to a poor choice? I know you'll stick to it. I know you want that 112 on the scale tomorrow, too! 

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 5:08 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Thanks for the encouragement!  And yes, you know how much I love that damn number

LINDA                 

psychoticparrot
on 11/29/15 3:33 pm

I want to be you when I grow up!

But naughty, naughty husband for bringing pie into the house!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 5:08 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Lol. How many "hail proteins" for him Father?

LINDA                 

psychoticparrot
on 11/29/15 8:59 pm

Hmmmm. Peach pie is a very serious transgression. Not as serious as lemon meringue or key lime, but still ...

How about the old pie-in-the-face trick? 

psychoticparrot

Grim_Traveller
on 11/29/15 4:15 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

We're just a couple months apart, so i can identify with your experience. I've found there are stretches of a month or two that are really hard to stick to my daily goals, and I'll drift up to my Red Line. But then there are a couple of months that it's pretty effortless to cut back those 500 calories a day to lose a few.

Being in control over a few year period is amazing, and totally new for me. You hit the gas a little, gain a few. Tap the brakes, lose a few. It's all up to me, and I can do it, for the first time.

It's a struggle, but a great feeling. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 5:23 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

That's a great analogy. It's wonderful to feel some sense of control over what direction the number is going.  For the most part, when I'm putting on the brakes, I take it just as seriously as I did when I was initially taking the weight off.  I don't screw around and try to get the job done as soon as possible. The rest of the time (aka most of the time) I enjoy the relative freedom of everyday life in maintenance!

And yes, as the years go by, our confidence in our little 'system' grows. We certainly don't have free rein like in the days we were so miserable post op, but with some simple parameters, we make things work.  

LINDA                 

frisco
on 11/29/15 4:43 pm

Today is the day !!!!

Any day that you win is the day !!!

You understand that you control it...... It does not control you !!!

All that said, I'm not surprised it's coming from you !

"No matter what point you're at in your personal journey, I want you encourage you to stick with whatever you've committed to today. Being deliberate in our actions is important and I believe it's correlated with ongoing success. Am I this deliberate every day? Nope. And when I'm not, I forgive myself and move on.   But I do best and feel best when I stick with my daily intention!"

If your not doing well at this..... your probably not doing the above !!!

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Spencerella
on 11/29/15 5:29 pm, edited 11/29/15 9:30 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I learned from the best!!

I will be forever grateful for the wisdom you and Elina provided.  You were the people with the most success, so I latched on right away.  Sure glad I did.  The old saying "stick with the winners" applies. It all just made sense to me. 

LINDA                 

Most Active