How do I battle complacency?

Kara D.
on 1/3/16 6:57 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I'm 9 months out from surgery and I am feeling complacent. It could be a side effect of my winter depression but I have no motivation to get back to the gym. I know how important that is, I just don't have the motivation to go. Words of encouragement and advice would be terrific! 

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

cappy11448
on 1/3/16 8:02 am

I certainly understand.  I stopped going to the gym a few months ago.  But I've been walking more, so I feel ok about it.  You might try substituting some other form of exercise to see if you can regenerate some motivation.

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 1/3/16 9:14 am

When I'm feeling smug and complacent after hitting various weight and exercise goals, I do three things to break myself out of my self-congratulatory state.

1. Get everything you need to go to the gym together and put it somewhere handy. When it's time to go to the gym, put yourself into "robot mode." When I put myself into robot mode, I deliberately turn off my emotions about going to swim, whether good or bad. I then count, literally count, the steps of getting ready for the pool to keep my thoughts away from the idea of staying at home ... (1) Put on swimsuit; (2) Put on coverup; (3) Pick up pre-packed bag (towels, sunscreen, etc.); (4) Walk to car; (5) Start car and drive to pool. Only after I go through this sequence do I allow any emotions back into my conscious thinking, because by then, I'm over the hardest part (getting going) and already looking forward to the exercise.
  2. Go to your favorite clothing shop and try on a few things that are a size or two too small. Observe yourself carefully in the mirror. Personally, I find this to be a wonderful motivator to break out of a stall or exercise slump!
  3. Remind yourself that the struggle with obesity will never end until you die. It doesn't matter whether you're a newbie or have maintained your weight successfully for years. The urge to eat more than necessary doesn't ever go away. The gym is now a permanent part of your life, as necessary as brushing your teeth or going to work.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

White Dove
on 1/3/16 11:02 am - Warren, OH

I love your counting idea.  I am going to the pool tomorrow and will get the bag packed today and add those steps to  my daily to do list.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active