Having sleeve February 2nd.

DonnaMaria
on 1/22/16 12:28 pm

Hi. After a three year fight to get the sleeve I am having it February 2nd. I had emergency surgery January 5th to have my band out. 

I just met with the surgeon Wednesday and he kind of scared me. Went over the chances of leaks, possible complications after the band, reflux, revision to gastric bypass for two patients because of reflux, etc. 

i am not changing my mind but I would love to have some support and hear some good stories about the sleeve. 

Thanks,

Donna

acbbrown
on 1/22/16 12:49 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I dealt with bad reflux issues but eventually found the right medicine to control it. Within the last couple months I was able to get off the meds and am fine (I am 4.5 yrs out). Just make sure your surgeon is willing to fight with your insurance to get the right meds should it ever be an issue. Some surgeons just cut and then stay rather uninvolved in post op care (like mine) - I had to go through several GI docs to find one who would wage war with my greedy insurance co. If I could redo it, I would have went with a different surgeon who cared even if it meant I self payed. But live and learn. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/16 1:00 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Hi Donna! Congratulations on making the best decision for your health! Don't be too scared about the possible complications, because yes they are possible, but not as common as you're think. I had my surgery 12/17/15 so 6 weeks ago as of yesterday and I've lost 24 lbs since surgery(49 lbs overall with my 25 lb pr-eop loss). Clothes that didn't fit 3 months ago are getting loose. Acquaintances I haven't seen in awhile who were unaware of my surgery (and most people know I am not shy telling people/talking about it) rave about my weight loss and how amazing I look and how they think I'm brave for having surgery. The cons are very small and were mostly at the beginning during recovery; gas pain, pain at incisions, fatigue, irritability, upset stomach, trouble having a bm. But those are in the past and for the most part I am super happy with everything. Please know while the first few weeks after surgery may be trying you will find that this is worth getting your health and life back. Good Luck! 

psychoticparrot
on 1/22/16 3:39 pm

Hey, we'll both be "groundhogs"! I had my surgery on Feb. 2 last year, a band-to-sleeve revision. As of this morning, I've lost 110 pounds. The band is a piece of junk, as far as I'm concerned. Sorry your surgery to have it out turned out to be an emergency, but getting it out will be nothing but good for you.

It's the surgeon's duty to fully inform you of all the possible things that can go wrong with the sleeve surgery. My surgeon told me the exact same things. It doesn't mean that any of them are likely to happen. It's the same reasoning behind listing all the things that could happen when you take any drug -- allergic reaction, upset stomach, nose falling off, etc. Every patient must be fully informed in order to make a fully informed decision about taking medicine or having surgery.

There have been stories here of people who developed worsening reflux as a result of the surgery. It's usually controllable with meds, and a very few needed to have a sleeve-to-bypass revision. I don't know how typical I am, but I had reflux for years before the sleeve and took a full dose twice daily to control it. When I had lost about 60 pounds by last summer, my surgeon cut my dose of prescription omeprazole in half. By fall, he said to stop taking it. When I did, I had a minor upsurge of reflux, so I'm still taking the half-dose until I see him again this spring.

I've been taken off my meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and depression. My meds for autoimmune arthritis, migraine, and anxiety have been halved. Still need the full doses of 3 drugs for asthma, but who knows? Maybe I'll be able to lower the dosages of them before too long. I'm 64 years old to give you an idea of how wonderful the sleeve has been for me, even at my relatively advanced age.

Good luck with your Groundhog Day surgery!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active