9 lbs away from 50% to goal

ChubbyHubby82
on 2/7/16 3:19 pm, edited 2/7/16 3:23 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

Hi All,

I have not posted in a while and I figured that it was high time for an update.

I am 7 months out and post-op as of yesterday and nearly 50% down to my goal. I always am second guessing the scale when I get my INR checked and they are like seriously??? I am losing about 5 pounds a week now. The nurses always tease me and encourage me. They are also the ones that were taking care of me when I had my outpatient IV antibiotics. They are my cheerleaders so I will take it and am glad I have gotten to know them.

Doctors appointments are going well and they seem to be just as blown away as I am about the amount I have lost.

Still taking my vitamins. Tried taking calcium citrate and hated that so am back on a chewable carbonate.

I also started working out about 3 weeks ago. 30-40 minutes of cardio at least 5 times a week and lifting 3-4 days a week as well as swimming whenever I feel like it. Gotta love the Y. Seeing lots of people who are following me on FB and former students glad to see me healthy and moving. It makes me smile.

Also have felt more comfortable to go on dates...FINALLY. That took some getting used to finding myself attractive and letting someone else to be attracted to me. That has gotten easier...thankfully.

Not really as moody as I once was...but I just say what I feel...and have gotten better at telling people to shut the hell up and mind their own business when it comes to how and what I eat.

I also thought that I might post a before and after pic well at least 50% there pic...LOL.

Jevelynne
on 2/7/16 4:38 pm
VSG on 10/26/15

Congratulations on you 50% goal! Keep going and don't look back!

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

LosinginAZ
on 2/7/16 5:31 pm

Looking good, keep up the great work!! :) 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/16 5:48 pm

Way to go! Glad life is on the upswing! Truly awesome. 

Keep your path and you will make it to goal far sooner than you ever thought was possible! 

congrats!

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/7/16 9:47 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Congrats to you.  If I could give you one tip it would be to log in here as much as you can, kinda reminds you and helps keep you honest.  After my lapband 8yrs ago I was rockin but I forgot my good habits and next month I'm doing a revision(band wasn't for me).  Long story short of its not here make sure you have support and accountability somewhere for the years to come.  Keep loosing!

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/8/16 12:35 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Congratulations on your success 

I'm no expert, but you should be taking calcium citrate, not carbonate.

Here is a link to the ASMBS website regarding vitamin requirements post WLS

And here's a specific citation on citrate vs. carbonate

Calcium citrate versus calcium carbonate ** Supplementation with calcium and vitamin D during all weight loss modalities is critical to preventing bone resorption [[121]](#bib121). The preferred form of calcium supplementation is an area of debate in current clinical practice. In a low acid environment, such as occurs with the negligible secretion of acid by the pouch created with gastric bypass, absorption of calcium carbonate is poor [[128]](#bib128).

Have you tried Bariatric Advantage 500mg calcium chews?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

NYMom222
on 2/8/16 2:02 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Congratulations on your success! I noticed you said "tried calcium citrate".... there are so many brands and types out there...keep trying until you find one. And if you can swallow a pill you don't have to do chewables..

It is like protein powder... individual tastes vary... but you can find one that works.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ChubbyHubby82
on 2/8/16 3:07 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

Calcium citrate  gives me severe heart burn even while taking a PPI.  Syrup, chews, pills...all were bad. I have plenty of acid for those of you that are lacking.  

I know what all the literature says...after enduring a couple weeks of heart burn my surgeon green lit the carbonate especially the issues around absorption. 

I keep trying the citrate at least once a week and blah!

seattledeb
on 2/8/16 8:53 pm

In a way it never gets easier. I'm a long way out and taking calcium is hard for me.

I am trying the calcium transdermal patches. Different things have worked over the years. You are in the rapidly losing weight portion and sometimes your reaction to things can change.

The problem with taking calcium carbonate is that you are really increasing your chances of getting kidney stones. I (knock on wood) have never had one but for me it's worth doing what I can to prevent them.

Congratulations on your progress. I love swimming too. I love feeling weightless and graceful.

Deb T.

Most Active