Packing for my hospital stay and surgery

EmilyPanga
on 2/14/16 8:07 am
VSG on 02/18/16

hey all!! My surgery is Thursday and I have to travel out of town to my surgeon. I have started thinking about what I need to pack and I'm unsure on a lot of things. Any tips or pointers? Thanks as always Emily 

rocky513
on 2/14/16 9:01 am - WI

The hospital will provide you with almost everything you need (shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, hospital gown and robe, non-skid socks,etc.)  You won't feel like doing much.  You will be walking and sleeping.  Some people bring their laptop, but most never open it up.  I brought a bunch of books that I never looked at.  Remember that everything you bring, you have to drag back home with you... and you won't feel like dealing with that.

Bring chapstick (your lips will be super dry), earplugs ( the nursing staff is LOUD, especially if your room is by the nurse's station), a pillow to hold on your incision for the bumpy ride home,  loose fitting clothes to go home in (very loose fitting. You will be swollen and sore).  Many people bring their own bath robe and slippers.  I did not.  I literally wore the baggy clothes into the hospital that I was going to wear home.  I didn't have a suitcase.  I had a plastic bag with a clean pair of socks and underwear, chapstick and books.  Remember to leave your jewelry ( wedding rings included) at home.  They require you to take them off during surgery.  If you can't get them off they will allow them in the operating room, but they will tape your finger where the rings are.

Good Luck!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Tiki3211
on 2/14/16 10:55 am

Rocky is right on the money.

White Dove
on 2/14/16 9:26 am - Warren, OH

What Rocky said plus your cellphone and charger.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/14/16 9:40 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I brought: slip on shoes (I don't like hospital socks), chloraseptic spray, biotin mouth spray, chapstick, gas x strips, elastic hair band/brush, my kindle, cell and chargers. The only things I didn't use were the chap stick and kindle. I wore loose comfy clothes (long sleeve/pants pj type outfit) in and wore the same home.

As Rocky said, the hospital provided all the toiletries I needed.

Good Luck!

ubserved
on 2/14/16 10:43 am

Don't over think it. I went and took a bare minimum of stuff with me and even that I didn't need or touch. Take a change of clothes, personally speaking, I don't care if I only wore them for a couple hours, I want fresh clothes when I get dressed again. I wore baggy drawstring type pants and a t-shirt and flip flop type sandals. Bring a book in case you might want it. I brought one with me and never touched it once. Keep it simple. You will only be in there overnight if that. In case there is a complication and you stay longer, if you want something at that point, you can have someone bring it to you. Don't stress about it. Good luck.

Renren
on 2/14/16 1:01 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

What I used of what I took, Chapstick ,bioteen dry mouth spray, a pair of loose shorts to wear under my gown for walks so I didn't have to think about the back of the gown opening up. Wore comfortable clothes there and wore the same clothes home. Cell phone and charger, ear plugs helped me to sleep better(those machines never stop beeping) Best of luck 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

NateH
on 2/14/16 1:02 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

Wear: sweatpants and a sweatshirt with some crocs or slip on shoes.
Take: chap stick and a pillow for your stomach when you are discharged. 

Keep it simple. You'll be in no mood to pack or carry a bag, so think backpack and not carry-on. :) 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

N M.
on 2/14/16 1:05 pm

Only thing I used from my suitcase (which was full and very heavy LOL) was the lip balm that I packed, although the hospital had a basin full of things like shampoo, lip balm, soap, etc.. I ended up using my own. I was in a hospital gown the whole time. Bring your own pillows and a heating pad! Good luck!

VSG 4/2/15

HW 244

Preop 2 week diet: 223

Surgery Day 208

CW 138 (3/7/2016)

CW 154 (2/14/2017)

CW 165 (8/7/2018)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views