Any have RNY then revision to sleeve?

roselover
on 2/14/16 12:35 pm

Wondering if anyone have RNY then revision to sleeve? 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/14/16 12:39 pm

I am sure some had.  But most of the time RNY would revise to DS that includes creating a sleeve and DS bypass. 

But I think VSG to RNY is more common. 

I am curious, why do you ask? Are you considering it? Why? (if you want to answer) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

roselover
on 2/14/16 12:52 pm

I had RNY in 2001. Lost over 100 Lbs. then Weigh gain over the years, had Apollo overstitch in 2014.  Didn't work.  Changed doctors. Started with new doctor in December, Had my appointment last week with doctor. So now I'm trying to decide the best option for me. Dr gave me a couple of options.  Lap band or DS. 

I

thanks

happyteacher
on 2/14/16 1:25 pm

DS is the most effective of the surgeries statistically. Be sure to really look at revision risks- not sure what they might be. I know when I just had a hiatel hernia repaired for the 2nd time the doc discussed that it was much higher risk.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/14/16 7:19 pm

Yea.. Overstitch is known not to work very well for weight loss. 

Now- do you have confirmed that your stoma is stretched..?

Revision from RNY to 'DS should never be taken lightly. There are only a few docs in the whole world that can do that and can do it correctly without causing serious complications.  Make sure you doc is one of them.  And just because doc do virgin DS - does not mean he is qualified to do revision from RNY to DS.  To on the DS forum and ask questions about your doc.  Pleasecwould know if your doc is even qualify to do revisions like that. 

DS is more forgiving when comes losing or maintaining weght vs diet.  But unless a person is dedicated to change their eating - it is possible to gain weight while having horrible complications with DS. 

Vitamin / mineral deficiencies are more common post op DS and supplementing is very critical with DS. 

Make sure you are fully aware of the consequences and are 100% commuted to lifestyle post op.

As for band over bypass.. (BOB) most people would tell you it is very bad idea. ... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

roselover
on 2/15/16 1:27 pm

Thank you for responding

happyteacher
on 2/14/16 1:23 pm

Can you even revise from Rny to sleeve?

I know you can go from sleeve to Rny.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

califsleevin
on 2/14/16 3:55 pm - CA

One certainly can, as the RNY can be revised to the DS, which is the VSG with a somewhat different intestinal configuration, but the question would be why would one want to do it? The VSG and RNY are so similar in overall results that unless there are some specific medical issues at play where the VSG would be preferred, but weightloss has otherwise been satisfactory, the DS revision would be the more typical and effective move. However, that's a very complex revision, for which there are only around a half dozen surgeons in North America whom you would want to trust with it. Which may be why some surgeons might suggest an RNY to VSG move - it may be the best that they can do without referring the patient to another surgeon who has the experience to do it.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

White Dove
on 2/14/16 3:14 pm - Warren, OH

The only reason I could think to revise from RNY to Sleeve is if you needed to gain weight.  You would be getting rid of what is left of the malabsorption.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active