Salad

DonnaMaria
on 2/23/16 6:09 pm

I am three weeks post surgery. It just occurred to me I never see salad listed in the "what are you eating" posts. 

Please tell me we can eat an occasional salad in a few months.

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/16 6:51 pm

Sure you will, but think 6 months down the road. Leafy greens are not the easiest to digest.

I still can only enjoy a whole salad (small dinner salad size) IF I am not going to follow the salad with a protein meal. If I'm out at a restaurant and feel like having a salad as a starter I eat about 1/3 of it (sometimes less). 

In early  maintenance I would have a salad in the afternoon as a snack. 

Smallbites2015
on 2/23/16 7:02 pm

7 months and no salad or leafy veggies for me. Nausea or vomiting will soon follow

kyzze
on 2/23/16 8:54 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I am 8 weeks post surgery and I ate salad last night, cab't eat a lot of it but I did fine, no nausea or anything.

califsleevin
on 2/23/16 10:25 pm - CA

Salads have been a staple of mine since about a month out (doc had me adding veg to the diet at ten days as my protein intake was more than adequate.) They almost always incorporate some meat in them, either leftovers or deli meat if there are no leftovers left (the dogs would like to help more on that front!) I found that if I cut back my normal meal of 3 oz of meat to 2 oz, that there was room for about 3 oz of salad veg as the whole combination is somewhat sliderish - but in a good sense of being very nutritionally dense. I typically use chopped spinach rather than lettuce as the basis due to its' somewhat better nutritional profile, then added a few grams each of various salad veg - grape tomato, avo, carrot, pepper, scallion, etc.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

DonnaMaria
on 2/24/16 3:27 am

Thank you for your replies!

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 4:10 am

If I need a mid afternoon snack that is where I fit in a small salad. I can't eat it at dinner and then eat any dinner. I will also munch on raw veggies if I feel the need to munch. Cauliflower is my favorite.

Sandra F.
on 2/24/16 5:44 am

I eat a salad almost every day for lunch, but as with the previous poster, I add protein (turkey or chicken) to it so that it sticks with me longer.  I am 16 months out.

emelar
on 2/24/16 8:31 am - TX

I eat salad every day, with chicken, shrimp, steak, lamb, salmon, or some other protein on top.  But you're way to early out to bother with salad, or even most veggies.  Protein, it's all about the protein right now.  Everything else will follow.

michele1
on 2/24/16 1:58 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

I eat salad and use baby spinach ( has more nutritional value than iceburg) and have no issues.

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views