Early postop hunger?

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 3:03 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm 6 days out and around day 4 I started feeling what I thought was hunger signals.  Today I'm sure that's what these signals are.  I've had a lot of issues getting protien in, at this time 2oz is the max.  (See post about protien early postop if intrested)

I'm not sure if hunger is a normal feeling at this point.  I had wished it'd staid away a bit longer till I had more time to heal.  

Any tips on how to get hunger under control early on?  It's not overly stressful but I'm concerned that I already feel this way in less than a week.  Any chance it goes away after healing is further along and you move off liquids only?

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

cconroy55
on 3/19/16 4:05 pm

A lot of the time something this early is actually an acid problem - are you on a PPI at all?  My doc had me on it for the first 3 months at least.  Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the protein at day 6 - focus on the water.  You'll be able to get the protein in eventually.

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 5:00 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I am on a PPI 2xs a day.  Early on I also took a tums when I had spasms and trouble with water even.  Thanks for your response.

hollykim
on 3/19/16 5:26 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 19, 2016 at 10:03 PM Pacific Time, YellowTJ wrote:

I'm 6 days out and around day 4 I started feeling what I thought was hunger signals.  Today I'm sure that's what these signals are.  I've had a lot of issues getting protien in, at this time 2oz is the max.  (See post about protien early postop if intrested)

I'm not sure if hunger is a normal feeling at this point.  I had wished it'd staid away a bit longer till I had more time to heal.  

Any tips on how to get hunger under control early on?  It's not overly stressful but I'm concerned that I already feel this way in less than a week.  Any chance it goes away after healing is further along and you move off liquids only?

bare you getting 64+ oz of liquid a day? Dehydration mimics hunger. 

Also,what are you eating? Carby Inge,oatmeal,cream of wheat mashed potatoes,etc,even if on your plan,will make you more hungry. It is just what carbs do.

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 6:22 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Take a peek at the post I made just below this for some finer points of what I'm eating.  No way I could or would eat those carry foods.  Right now I can't even get full liquids to fly no way to eat oatmeal lol.

I do agree about the lack fluids of fluids causing hunger too, I've felt that even before sugery.  I am trying very hard to get my fluids up to 40oz a day, 60 right now is out of my reach.  40oz is just now becoming a possibility, I've had some issues with thickness of fluids making me veryill feeling for hours.  I asked for advice and I think I've found 4oz broth with a small scoop of protien 10gs total should get me heading in the right direction.  Of course my over all goal is 60oz+ and I was doing 80oz preop but post op I've just had a hard time of it.

Im not sure if I have extra swelling from having my lap band removed at the same time or what, but each day is a marked improvement.

rocky513
on 3/19/16 8:26 pm - WI

Are you thinking that a noisy, gurgling stomach are hunger signals?  Many of us have noisy stomachs after surgery.  Don't confuse it with hunger, it's not.  Your digestive system has been completely disrupted and is bound to rebel and make some noise.  I'm 5 years out from RNY and my stomach still makes a lot of noise.  If I fed my self every time my stomach "sings" to me, I would be in BIG trouble.

Maybe you are having problems with head hunger.  That is a tough one.  Early out it can be very hard to figure out whether you are really feeling hunger or just want to eat.  There is a difference. We are so used to eating large volumes of food and frequent snacking that it can be really hard to wrap your head around just how little food we need to thrive.  I think it does get better when you get further out from surgery and are eating solid foods. 

Work your program and keep your self busy (so you don't think about eating).  Get your fluids up.  It will REALLY help.

Hang in there. It gets better!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 10:12 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Totally agree on all the noises. VSG has definitely given me a far larger spectrum of noises than my lap band did.  I've had some of the following "noises"

General gurgling and bubbling: no concern, not hunger

Painful shaking or vibrating: finally figured out those were spasms and learned to deep breath, walk, take a tums, and drink slower. (I am on 2xs a day PPI as well). Luckily those are calming down but the first few days they'd even wake me up.

Growling with urgency: I suspect this to be hunger, I've defiantly felt it as head hunger as I saw a commercial for something good and it happened shortly after, I've felt it after a long day of not drinking enough so dehydration hunger feelings, I also have had issues finding a protien liquid that I could consume.  I think I found that today.  

ejirish
on 3/20/16 6:06 am

I'm still pre op... are the spasms part of the healing? Is it normal? I can't believe youre already post op! I remember your first post when you said you just started the process!

What protein did you find?

I hope your feeling better!

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/20/16 7:17 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

No expert on spasms.  I started having them the first night.  They kinda feel like a bad hunger pain and then a shudder or vibration of your stomach.  From what I read online they are slightly comin in VSG patients. They seem to come from a variety of reasons too much acid, cool water drinking, laying down and taking a sip, just becaus lol.  

They did freak me out because I didn't know they could happen.  I didn't know what was happening and so it didn't scare me but was unsettling.  Each day they've been less.  I've also learned several things listed above to help calm them down that worked for me.  

If they were to get too bad there are medicine your doc can prescribe or they will give it to you if you go back to the hospital.  Levsin is a drug I took for bladder spasms a few years back and can be used for stomach spasms as well.  I didn't feel like they were that bad so I didn't contact my doctor, but they did keep me from wanting to drink much upfront so be mindful of that :-) 

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/20/16 7:19 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm using an unflavored Nector powder in chicken broth. It's not thick at all and I can handle about a 4oz broth to 10g portion of protien.  Not too bad! 

Most Active