Yay time for another Post-op Question...

Darcy G.
on 4/22/16 3:21 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

So, it's entirely possible that all the crap I've been dealing with post-op has made me into a hypochondriac, but there's new pain and I'm wary as heck of yet another complication.

From the boards, I believe you should drink 1-2 ounces and wait 15 min and go again. I haven't done that... the pills for the infection are so huge and horrifying tasting that I am sure I drink way too much with them.

I guess my question is: If it's not making me throw up, what happens when you put too much water in there? Does it push out the bottom? Would it hurt? Would it explode Rupert(tummy) like an overfilled water balloon?

I am pretty sure I was drinking like this before they took me for my two leak tests the day I was readmitted, and that was a even more baby staple line than now, and it was doing just fine. But now that I'm home and I have this interesting new shoulder pain when I take a deep breath... I'm mildly wiggan.

If I'd popped staples, I'd be in massive pain, right?

(I think it could also be gas because that's part of c-diff's loveliness: Swollen Colon might be going down, but the gas is still monstrous. It just hasn't caused shoulder pain before. Shoulder only hurts with deep breath in certain positions--like standing up.)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/22/16 3:32 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Water slides right through the valves in your stomach. Unless you're chugging a gallon at a time, I doubt you can cause your stomach to explode.

If you popped staples, your stomach acid would leak into your abdominal cavity. That would probably hurt.

If you're concerned, call your surgeon's office and see if you can talk to a nurse or PA. They're great for questions like this.

Also worth noting-- if your pills are solid, and not capsules, you can totally split them up and take them in pieces.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Darcy G.
on 4/22/16 3:48 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Water slides through? Thank you, that's great to know! One less worry.

The Flagyl(antibiotic) is large and I split it... but that means that it's got a raw end that has BIG FLAVOR... so I have to drink a bit after each half.

My other worry was taking drinks that were too big.

I'll give this GasX a chance to kick in and see if it doesn't improve that deep breath pain... if not I guess I'll call the surgeon's office and ask.

I think all the trouble may have primed me to freak about everything...

iloveravens
on 4/24/16 6:01 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I feel sorry for you having to take Flagyl.  There is nothing that tastes worse in this world.  Gross!!! 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Darcy G.
on 4/24/16 11:20 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Truer words were never spoken...

The Dr was all trying to warn me about the taste and he goes.... It tastes like dirt... really...

At the time I was like... Okay... (meep)

Now I'm like: Sir, I have tasted dirt. Do not disparage dirt! Dirt is a DELICACY by comparison.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 4/22/16 4:18 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

Oh I've had flagyl before.. yumma, would it help to dip the cut end into your soup/broth/yogurt/splenda to try and seal it?   

I had a twinge when I took a deep breath for about 2 weeks after surgery.. it was my shoulder and lower side of my neck, not sure what it was but it wasn't painful and only happened when I took a deep breath.. so I didn't take deep breaths lol

A heating pad might help

Darcy G.
on 4/22/16 5:53 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I don't know. I've wondered about trying to seal it with something, but it seems like anything that's water-based would just make it dissolve faster... I actually was considering using a drop of olive oil... because that seems like it would coat the raw end.

I think I will use the heating pad. I'm 100% certain that the shoulder is a referred pain from the abdomen, I just don't know if it's from Ye Olde Swollen Colon or from something else in the general vicinity...

When my surgeon was telling me about the surgery(pre-op visit) he said that people who don't have a spleen(me), their bowels move up to fill up that space that used to have a spleen in it. That's pretty much the area that is hurting right now. So it's possible that removing the stomach made that space wider and the bowels are just conquering new territory...  At any rate, if the pain gets more, or if I develop more symptoms, I will ring the office. Monday I see them anyway for my Purees Nutrition Class... and I can see the PA there if I need to since the surgeon saw me like... every day almost since Apr 7... we figured we could put off my post-op visit for a couple more weeks.

There has been some good news today though. 1) took off my nausea patch and I'm doing fine with the Zofran, 2) Water weight has been falling off. I'm now down 13 pounds in 15 days... which I can probably credit the C-diff for half of that but... taking silver linings where I can find them!

White Dove
on 4/22/16 4:21 pm - Warren, OH

I am taking a huge antibiotic and taking it with teaspoon of applesauce

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Darcy G.
on 4/22/16 5:55 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I don't know if I'm allowed to have applesauce, but I've thought about that. If my post-op had been normal, I would've begun pureed foods today, which would've made it possible. Oh, aside from the... C-diff issue: no fruit anything until 3 days after symptoms disappear...

Meh. Maybe well liquefied jello before swallowing...

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

White Dove
on 4/22/16 10:27 pm - Warren, OH

Pudding is the other thing they offered me at the hospital to get the pills down. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active