One Year Surgery Anniversary

beelitehobbies
on 4/30/16 5:59 pm, edited 4/30/16 6:31 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

Had my one year anniversary since surgery this week. Not where I want to be yet, but I am doing everything I can. I am exercising regularly and feeling better than I have since the 90's. A truly great feeling, for a change.

Pills. I was on blood pressure pills, cholesterol pills, 2 diabetic drugs (including insulin) and a diuretic. All are gone now. All my blood work is good now. Only taking vitamins now. WOW!

What have I learned in the last year?

• Sleeve is only a tool. A damn good tool, but really only ~20% of what's needed. Most all your issues are above your shoulders!
  • Personal adversary ,depression or stress will occur in your life and your family at some point? Don't lose focus on the goals despite what chaos that may or may not happen around you.
  • Read, read and read more. Become a nutrition expert. Know your fats and sugars and where they reside in your foods. Learn the differences in the forms of those ingredients. i.e. Good fats and bad fats for example.
  • Get off your ass and move. Somehow, some way, go do it! It may never be fun (not for me) but it will certainly get easier later on. Essential to good Health.
  • Some people can live with fattening food around them. I cannot. Treat it like a junkie avoiding the temptation of Drugs! Not really that different an addiction IMO?
  • I've been to a few NUTS and seen Shrink on Cognitive Behavioural Analysis. They do not hurt, and may help you? I got a couple of good "take always" myself. For the most part however, I didn't care for those types of counselling? Really it's all up to you (see 3rd point) but may help you?
  • Group support meetings are great. Health professionals have their place. but obese people are the only ones that "get it" .Find a support group!
  • First 3 months Post OP I had to be so careful not to overeat in restaurants and throw up. It was easy to do so at first! Once fully healed I can eat, but less. Now its very normal eating, just smaller amounts. I can't eat nearly as much as others around me? Maybe I can do 70% of similar meals with friends or family at a restaurant.
  • You can eat around a sleeve..... You will soon realize that if you want to eat more you simply need to take a break for 30  minutes. Than you can often start eating again!. A horrible habit but it will soon become evident that you can easily sabotage the purpose of the sleeve.
  • Watch the slider foods!!! Soft foods or liquid calories love the VSG. Don't lose track of these very dangerous foods!

God luck everyone. That's my 2 cents worth.

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Anita
on 4/30/16 10:45 pm

good guidance tips for those of us starting out......and great inspiration too! keep up the good work and thanks!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views