Thoughts on doing it together?

baileymedlin24
on 5/5/16 3:27 pm

Hey, all! I am new to this community, and I have very recently become very interested in getting the sleeve. My mom had the band done about 4 years ago, and a few people I know have nothing but good things to say about the sleeve. I have an appointment with a doctor early next week just to chat, but I had a question for you folks. I am 27, and my fiance is 26. We are both interested in the sleeve. Are we insane for entertaining the idea of us getting it done around the same time? We have no kids to care for, and my mom would stay with us for a while. This may very well make us insane, but I just thought I would see what you guys thought about it. Thanks in advance! 

Ray R.
on 5/5/16 7:36 pm - Paterson, NJ

Hello Welcome!!!!

I think it's good if you both want to do it together. I mean you guys can be a great support towards one another when we all have those weak moments. It's good to not go through this journey alone. you can share recipe ideas, workout together, and b*tch and moan about WLS, cause nobody understands a WLS journey than another person who's had WLS.  Now this is my opinion, but as long as you guys are doing for reasons of your own, and not each other, then I'll think they'll be success if you use it as the tool is meant to be. 

regardless, I wish you luck on your consult and hope everything goes well for you

obioxiupa
on 5/5/16 9:04 pm

I think it's a great idea.  And I doubt you'd need your mom with you for much time at all - mostly just for driving.  I was up and making dinner for my family after 3 days.

good luck!

psychoticparrot
on 5/5/16 9:35 pm

You're both young, with minimal obligations, and you'll have help. You should sail through it. And being at the same food stages at the same time will simplify your meal preparation.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Neesie57
on 5/5/16 9:36 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

It would be great for you to both go through it together.  You can support each other, cook for each other, and cheer each other all through every big and little thing.  My husband is losing weight along with me, even though he didn't have surgery.  I've lost 97 so far, and he has lost 40.  It's been wonderful.  

One thing more, it you guys do this together, don't be too frustrated when he loses weight faster than you.  Men just have a better metabolism than we do, and damn them, they drop weight faster.  Not fair!

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

seabexlose
on 5/5/16 9:41 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I had my sleeve done a few weeks ago and my husband is scheduled for June 8th.  I feel glad that we're doing it together.  I came to the decision on my own to have surgery, and when I told him about it and asked for support, he gave it.  Awhile later (like an hour later) he told me that he wanted to do it too.  He has been making and keeping all his own appointments for it (something that he's REALLY bad at - he always lets work get in the way of his medical appts) and is seeing a different surgeon but at the same clinic. I think this has helped us have some autonomy in the experience.

Kris R.
on 5/6/16 5:37 am - Walworth, NY

OK, I agree with everything written here.  It would be great to have a partner, BUT.... you have to know yourself.  There are times when I'm going to say.. f'it,  I need to have a piece of chocolate - and damn anyone who tells me I can't.  Because I know what I can and can't have I don't want or need anyone else judging me or telling me I can't have what I want.  Also for me my emotions have been like a roller coaster - I used to turn to food and wine for comfort, stress, frustration, happiness ect...  I struggle at times what to turn to and sure maybe having a partner is what I would need, but for me.  I don't want to be coddled when i'm like that.  Leave me alone in my own misery to work through this.  Because I can.  But that's me, everyone is different.  You do what's best for you!!!

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

BeautifulMe84
on 5/6/16 3:00 pm
VSG on 03/10/16

HI there!

First and foremost this does not in any way shape or form make you insane to think about taking this amazing journey "together". I had my VSG surgery done exactly 4 weeks after my husband and let me just say it has made this whole process even more enjoyable!! The support you get from a loved one or spouse is wonderful...especially if your doing it "together". I say GO FOR IT!! You can help each other with the first few stages after surgery and keep each other motivated. Good luck to you and your fiance.

Most Active