Frustrating Decision

Elliot413
on 5/5/16 9:33 pm
VSG on 07/12/16

It took a lot for me to get the courage to get bariatric surgery.  I was locked into the bypass.  Dr. recommended the sleeve.  I'm scared of failure.  I wanted to lose 180+ pounds from 401.  Can I even come close with the sleeve.  Anyone out there switch there procedure decision and happy they did?  My surgery is scheduled for 7/12.  Still time to change mind by 5/28.

cappy11448
on 5/6/16 12:44 am

I chose to have the sleeve, though my NP suggested the RNY, thinking that the malabsorption and dumping would help me stay on track.  But I didn't like the idea of malabsorption or dumping, and the sleeve left the pyloric valve functional, and didn't mess with the intestines.  so I went with the sleeve.

I started at 385 pounds, and a BMI of 60.  I lost 225 pounds, and currently have a weight of 162 and a BMI of 24. 

People say that the RNY is better for weight loss, but the sleeve did the job for me.

As I always like to point out, It isn't easy, but its possible.  You've got to follow the plan and be diligent about your eating forever.  But it does work.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

ubserved
on 5/6/16 12:45 am

I did the sleeve six months ago and have lost 128 pounds. My brother did the bypass like 14 years or so ago. He lost a lot as well. The sleeve is a lot less invasive. I would highly recommend the sleeve. The reason for that, there is a valve at the bottom of the stomach that you really want to keep, if you do the bypass, you lose it. Listen to your doctor, he's the expert. I know it's worked very well for me. I posted a fairly long account of my 6 months just earlier today. Technically yesterday being it's past midnight. Look for it and it will let you know what to expect with the sleeve.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/6/16 8:38 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I chose the sleeve & am very happy with my choice. I definitely think you can lose the weight with the sleeve alone, but like any other wls it takes work & a lifetime commitment.

I considered the rny/ds because of the amount I had to lose but decided I didn't want my intestines rerouted, didn't want to lose my pyloric valve & felt that I didn't need the probably more powerful metabolic boost that comes with the rny/ds.

There are others who started at a higher weight than yours & lost a lot of weight & kept it off.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Elliot413
on 5/6/16 9:53 am
VSG on 07/12/16

Thank each of you for your insights and encouragement.  Please share some examples of your new lifestyle habits.

paflyersgal
on 5/6/16 12:36 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I went into my doctors office thinking about the band. However; my doctor recommended the Sleeve surgery. He said that it was less evasive. I would have a better life style. My weight at my first appointment was 413 lbs. I am currently at 7 months post-op and weighing in at 281.4 lbs. I have lost 131.6 lbs. so far. I have about 100-125 lbs. still to go. My doctor believes I will meet my goal and pass it, if I decide to. I know if I work hard, I can achieve my goals. My doctor was so proud of my accomplishments at my last appointment he needed to give me a hug and all the praise I could ever ask for.

I don't feel that I have any "new habits" I just got rid of old ones. I don't eat fast food. I always stick to grilled chicken or salads with no sauce and dressings on the side if I am going out to eat. I do all the cooking so it's easy for me to follow good eating guidelines. I do still eat carbs.. I just don't eat refined sugars or white flour. If I make pasta, which is very rare.. I use whole wheat or vegetable pasta from the health store. I want to buy a spiraler an make noodles from veggies that way. I don't fry foods anymore, I bake or grill everything. I was never a soda drinker so that was an easy thing to stop doing. Junk foods.. believe me.. I've had slips here and there.. but I always felt guilty, and now I'm at the point where I just say no. I don't even think about junk food. The first few months were extremely hard.. I had surgery in October, so there was Thanksgiving.. then Christmas.. New Years.. My birthday.. Easter.. my goodness.. Holidays are filled with so much food and a lot of the food is just not very healthy.

I was a huge drinker.. and it was very very hard to stop drinking or saying no to shots.. New Years, I had jello shots.. They didn't make me sick, but by the 4th one I was full.. and I thank goodness for it. Now.. when I am at a party and someone offers me a shot, I just simply say no thanks. I don't need it nor do I want it anymore.. but it took me "trying" it after surgery to realize that those things were part of my "bad habits" I grow each and every month. I find new and exciting ideas for foods that are healthy and I learn that I don't need those old things to make me happy.

I found really wonderful website.. www.skinnytaste.com she makes all her meals based on the weigh****chers point system. Now I don't follow weigh****chers of course.. but her food is good. I do tweak her recipes to fit my needs. There are some items she cooks with that I would never use again, but you can find healthier substitutes for just about anything. It's not about what you're giving up, it's about what you're learning and achieving. Its about getting healthy, following your plan, and being happy with yourself always.

Best of Luck to You Always!

Karen

Donna L.
on 5/6/16 9:08 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm 10 months out from surgery and have lost 100 pounds since June 22nd when I had surgery (the VSG).  Surgery weight was 400.  I could have definitely done better, but it's been a horrible two months of stress.  Getting back on track now.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ebonymc
on 5/6/16 9:20 pm

I had the band but didn't lose enough weight before removing it. Dr. suggested RNY due to my diabetes. I only have about 70 lbs to lose and already terrified of having RNY or sleeve. The nurse said you're going to be super skinny(as I've mentioned before in a post) she said why not do the sleeve? Well, at that time my insurance wouldn't pay for it. Now they will so I want to go that route. 

happytoloose
on 5/7/16 12:13 am

18 months out, down 263, well over half my body weight GONE FOREVER !

Holding steady at 227. I Got This! You can too. BUT procedure alone wont do it, no matter which one you decide on.

Hard work, commitment and accountability are key to your success , but the sleeve will help you make better decisions.

ROCK IT, The rewards are INCREDIBLE, and the results will keep you MOTIVATED !

YOU GOT THIS!

I LOVE MY SLEEVE

Rod

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views