New Here (Hi Everyone)

jesuiscrystal
on 5/6/16 2:13 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

I've been lurking for a couple of months, but I think it's time to come out and say hi, so Hi.

I'm Crystal, and I'm currently going through the process of getting approved for surgery. So far, I've completed the initial consult, nutritionist appointments, upper GI (showed hiatal hernia), and the psych eval. Everything was sent to the insurance company today, and I'm hoping to hear something back in about three weeks or so. 

I'm incredibly excited but also very nervous. I have three small children and don't live near family, so the logistics of this surgery alone are complicated...let alone the fear of going under the knife. But, I have much stronger motivations for having this surgery. I watched my mother over the last 20+ years deal with all the complications that could possibly occur from obesity, and in November, she lost her battle at the young age of 62. She spent the last years of her life a double amputee and bed-bound in a nursing home.

I know it's only a matter of time for me if I don't act now. In fact, I've already had issues with hypertension and cardiomyopathy. There is no way that I'm going to continue down that path, so surgery is most assuredly the best option.

I am more than willing to do the hard work, and with motivation like that, I think I will be successful. In no way will it be easy, but I am ready.

obioxiupa
on 5/6/16 2:21 pm

Welcome.  I lost my dad at 50 to obesity related illness and my mom at 65 to cancer.  I'm so sorry you don't have your mom with you anymore!  It's the worst.  At the same time it's a great motivator.

welcome and good luck!

tara

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

SilverGirl2015
on 5/6/16 8:52 pm

Smartest decision you will ever make.  

katblue
on 5/7/16 7:31 am
VSG on 04/06/16

Welcome Crystal and hi right back atcha!  

I'm just a month out from surgery and wish I would have had it years ago.  As far as the surgery, you've made it through 3 births, this will be a cake walk!  And if you have 3 small children and aren't near family, you've already figured out some challenging days. You are clearly motivated and the potenial challenges that can occur if you don't have the surgery likely present much greater challenges.  I was taken off blood pressure medicine a week out from surgery!  Of course, everyone is different so no use comparing when there are sooo many factors involved, but there's hope!  

This is a great community of people who have struggled as we have!  You are not alone. You can do this. 

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

KarolElin
on 5/8/16 5:41 am

Hi Crystal and welcome. Congratulations on taking charge of your life. You are doing this most importantly for yourself, but also you will develop proper eating management techniques that will benefit your family for years to come. I wish I had done this when my child was younger, she is now 21 and following right along in my obesity traits. Get your kids involved with you. They will learn from you. BTW, Happy Mother's day!

"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."-Jon Acuff

5'11" HW 368;  SW 294; 1 MO -10.2; 2 MO -7.9; 3 MO -12.4; 4 MO -8.4; 5 MO -7.1  CW 242

Most Active