No goal-- am I alone?

Felynn
on 5/18/16 4:14 am
VSG on 02/24/16

I had my sleeve 2/24/16 and I have lost 40lbs total

my question is am I the only one with no goal weight? I just want to feel good and be able to do everything !!

(wakeboarding, running again, anything I put my mind to) 

as soon as I get  that feeling ill know I am goal..

is that strange?

maybe I don't pick a goal because I don't want to disappoint myself..maybe I just can't see myself another 60 lbs down? I don't know why but I just don't feel the need to put a number on my happiness .

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/16 4:23 am

No you are not alone though till I read your post I thought I was. I also have never had a weight goal in mind. Like you I just want to feel better and do things I couldn't before. I doubt I will ever get to what a dr would say should be my goal weight but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have had surgery or am not serious about this. Should I get to a drs goal I doubt I could stay there as I could eat so little. Never have been able to eat much and not gain and am now in my 60's so the metabolism slows more. I have lost almost 60 lbs and feel so much better and can do so much more. I do look in the mirror and am getting used the reflection of a thinner me which wasn't primary in mind at first. I notice I am now thinking I would look better with a little less tummy. That thought wouldn't have come to me months ago. So it is a journey we take and our thoughts may change along the way.

So no you are not alone and happiness is not a number!

FuturePinUp
on 5/18/16 4:32 am

You are not alone at all! While I do have a goal weight listed in my signature, it's not a hard or firm rule and, as I get closer and closer to a normal BMI, I'm going to allow for changes based on how I feel and look.

My medical team also doesn't have a goal for me. When I went for my check-up two weeks ago, they told me they were already satisfied with my progress and that, at this point, it was up to me to pick where I'm comfortable. I set the 160 as a cushion in case of regain, but it could me more or less than that eventually. 

If you don't need to put a number to your success, then perfect! I work the opposite way. I weigh in once a week and update my weight in a few places, relishing in the "pounds lost" number going up, etc. It motivates me to stay on plan. As long as you know you're on the right track, no sense to torture yourself over a set goal. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

KansasPrincess
on 5/18/16 5:07 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

i have a goal weight but im not concentrating on that. it was a goal set by my dr. my goal is a look or feeling or a size. I want to be a size 12/14. that's what im concentrating more on. whether I hit that size 14 at 200 pound or 160 pounds im good with anywhere in that range as far as what the scale says.

cappy11448
on 5/18/16 5:54 am

I didn't set a goal weight until I had lost most of my excess body weight.  I had no sense of how successful the weight loss would be, and I didn't have any idea of how it would feel to be at any given weight. 

I finally set my first goal at being less than Morbidly obese, which was 190 pounds for me.  When I hit 190, I decided to keep losing because I had a huge belly.  I got down to 157, and decided to stop.  I was a normal BMI, and I was looking thin - although I still had a huge tummy. 

Interestingly, when I talked to a surgeon about a tummy tuck, he told me that my tummy was all skin. there wasn't fat.  He removed 5.5 pounds of skin with the tummy tuck, and my tummy was flat and firm.

Now I try to keep my weight between 160 and 162, and I consider this my "goal weight."  But it was a case of trial and error to see where I felt comfortable.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Felynn
on 5/18/16 7:42 am
VSG on 02/24/16

Thanks for making feel not alone 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/18/16 8:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My primary goals weren't numerical at all. I wanted to get off my blood pressure meds, get off my CPAP, and be able to ride my bike 40 miles in the annual city race. And I totally did that.

I though 160 would be a good goal and I'd be happy there, even though it was 10lb over "healthy" BMI. I ended up getting 15lb below that, which was cool, but the other goals were much more important to me.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 5/18/16 10:08 am

Having a set goal is not important in the beginning, but I believe some sort of goal weight is important in the long run. The further we get out, it is easy to make excuses and justify gaining weight. This is a slippery slope that a lot of people here seem to get caught up in. 5 pounds turns to 10 turns to 50+ and then "Yikes" it's hard to slam on the breaks.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Spencerella
on 5/18/16 10:14 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm with Laura on this one. No need to set something now, but if you merely set feeling better and capable as your goal, that may come quite soon. Remember that how we feel is relative to what we know.  And as Laura said, I would agree that people staying too loosey goosey and regain do seem to go together. If you want a starting point goal, the top end of a normal BMI would be a good place to start. Refinement up or down can come later. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Renren
on 5/18/16 11:28 am
VSG on 12/02/15

It sounds to me like you do have a goal, it just not a numerical goal.I think the goal you do have is great. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active