Magnesium Citrate, oh how I loathe you.

sobertina
on 5/22/16 5:15 pm
VSG on 05/24/16

Surgery is on Tuesday,  so I got up this morning and drank the Dreaded Potion like a good patient.  Whomever decided to make it taste like lemony ocean water should be punched in the junk. In fact,  they deserve a 2nd punch for adding the carbonation.   Less than an hour after I drank it,  things started to happen.  10 hour later, I'm  STILL rushing to the bathroom every 45 minutes. It would be more often,  but I refuse to drink more often than that because everything south of the border is raw & sore.  No one warned me that at some point,  the thought of wiping would make me want to cry.  If you haven't done this yet, maybe try that wet toilet tissue & diaper cream. Pretty sure I'd trade a kidney for some right now. Ok,  not a kidney,  that's kind of drastic, but I'd totally part with my appendix or one of my middle toes for some relief right now. ;-)

LeapSecond
on 5/22/16 5:24 pm - AR

I did not have to do a prep before VSG, but had a similar prep for a colonoscopy. I feel your pain, it is short lived but really unpleasant! Try vasaline, baby oil, mineral oil anything to provide a protective barrier.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Anita
on 5/22/16 8:14 pm

so sorry you're going through that.....I have to do the same thing in 2 weeks (surgery June 6).......I appreciate the warning and hope that you find relief soon.....in the meanwhile, please keep your kidneys and middle toes.......you need them.....appendix, not so much.

good luck with your surgery......everyone says it's worth all this stuff.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Darcy G.
on 5/22/16 8:45 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I didn't have to do this for my surgery either, but ditto colonoscopy. It's horrible, but the cherry flavor is slightly less brutal... More like three-days-dead-monkey-butt rather than two-weeks-dead-monkey-butt :)

Plus side? Your bum will most likely feel OK tomorrow, and it'll be a long time before it has to any such hard labor again.

Down side, even water from the shower will hurt... Probably even iin the morning.

All that said, good thoughts for easy surgery and smooth sailing through recovery.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

sobertina
on 5/22/16 9:02 pm
VSG on 05/24/16

Thanks for the comments.  Nice to know I'm not alone out here. :-)

Jeninfla708
on 5/23/16 5:52 am - Port Saint Lucie, FL

Thanks for the heads up. I have to drink it on 6/1. I have medicated wipes all ready to go!!! Beat wishes on your surgery!! Can't wait to join you!!

Jennifer N.

Surgery Scheduled 11/17/16

HW 272 CW 260 GW 135

L. 68
on 5/23/16 12:02 pm

HI Sobertina,

I have Surgery Tuesday (tomorrow) too.  I had mine yesterday on the rocks.  The taste is not bad i flushed down a gallon of water for the day and all went easy this morn.  Sorry TMI  but it really isnt that bad and it works wonders, the crazy thing is my doc didn't require it  i just wanted to do it.. lolol

Speedy Recovery Tomorrow!!

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/16 2:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Witch hazel is magic, either in the pre-moistened flushable wipes or just a bottle that you can squirt onto a washcloth.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

pr31
on 5/24/16 6:14 am

Thanks so much for these tips.  I'll be drinking mine on 6/2 so I'll be sure to get some medicated wipes this weekend 

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

MAchick
on 5/26/16 11:02 am
VSG on 01/27/14

FOUR mother effing bottles for my colonoscopy back in December. I was gagging, heaving, passing out of my butt. That stuff is the worst!!

Most Active