Restaurants

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/24/16 8:40 am
VSG on 04/28/16

So as we all know, there will come a time when we'll have to go to a Restaurant - birthdays, client dinners, company events, family gatherings, etc....my question for those that are several months/years post op...Are there restaurants that you would recommend or that you prefer over others?  Obviously buffets are out!  Not worth the temptation nor the money!  I am thinking of sit down ones where you can order modified items.  I think having 3 kids I can get away with just ordering some grilled chicken w/ veggies and sharing with my youngest if it ever came down to it.

What is everyone else's experience/opinion?  I am still in the soft phase so if I can avoid it I don't go anywhere or I take a shake; but we all know that in reality we will go to one.

White Dove
on 5/24/16 9:21 am - Warren, OH

Buffets are great.  Just skip past the Carbs at the beginning of the line and get the beef, chicken, fish and shrimp

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

frisco
on 5/24/16 9:34 am

The reality is that forever is a long time...... 

I can eat anytime, anyplace in the world.

Yes, there have been times when I paid $25 for 3oz. of food at a buffet and there have been times when it was no charge.

In the end, you control it and it does not control you. Just because your at a social event of any kind does not mean your obligated to eat anything and/or everything.

Temptations are everywhere 24/7 365

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way !!!

You will either get the hang of it or not. Developing new habits early out is a major advantage for longer term success !!!

This may sound harsh, but it is honest and for real. Proper foods are very enjoyable and satisfying.

Hope this helps you see the bigger picture !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/24/16 10:52 am
VSG on 04/28/16

Thanks, Frisco - my thoughts exactly...I can't avoid everything and that is why I know where I am going ahead of time or have a back up (shake).  I was just thinking of times when my 'new normal' diet kicks in (no longer on the post op diet) and as a family or for work we go some where.  What others have done to accommodate to our new lifestyle.  I had a work dinner last Friday and luckily it was a carving station so I got my grilled chicken (drumstick) and two pieces of veggies and ate what I could of the chicken and one bite of each veggie.  There was mac and cheese, cheese grits, dessert, venison quesadillas, and several other types of meats...but I knew what I could have and I had my back up just in case.  I feel I am building new and healthy habits since my VSG...not harsh and thanks for your input!

frisco
on 5/24/16 11:38 am

Just a heads up.... 

I learned this from many in my support group.

Restaurant and event eating will be pretty much a non issue compared to family and 3 kids eating. Grabbing french fries from the kids plate is a common one I hear. Gold fish crackers comes up often. You get what I'm saying.

Completely doable, just sharing what I've learned.

I'm facing an odd situation right now caring for my mom. She got below 90lbs. and my job is to put weight on her. I prepare meals for her which is the exact opposite of what I need to eat. 

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/24/16 9:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've been able to find things at pretty much every restaurant I go to. Look for things that are meat-centric. Avoid things that are carby, like pasta. Skip "fried" and opt for baked, grilled, roasted, etc. Plan to take at least half of it home.

Stuff that I tend to order, and can find EVERYWHERE:

• Burgers (skip the bun)
  • Fajita, filling only
  • Steak, veggies instead of rice/potatoes on the side
  • Grilled fish
  • Chicken breast, or chicken strips with no breading

Examples:

• Tilapia with mango salsa at Chili's
  • Turkey burger, no bun, at Red Robin
  • Garlic rosemary chicken at Olive Garden
  • Naked tenders at Buffalo Wild Wings
  • "Specialty chicken" at Domino's (basically nuggets with cheese and stuff on top)
  • Meatballs with provolone on top, no bread, from Subway

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/24/16 10:54 am
VSG on 04/28/16

Julie!!! What a great list...I love that you incorporated the restaurants!  My hubby and I met for lunch today and he wanted subway...I took my shake just in case, but when I asked them for service of a 6" tuna w/ no bread they put it in a soup bowl and it was only $3!  I couldn't even eat half and I have dinner for later!

on 5/24/16 10:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've never had trouble having a restaurant accommodate requests when I'm nice about it. I tend to use the line, "I'm on a weird diet, would it be OK if..." and just asking for small things like veggies instead of fries. I think a lot of places have dealt with picky/snobby eaters, so if you smile and ask for one minor change, it's not a problem!

Pookie01
on 5/24/16 11:33 am

Julie,

Thanks for the list.   I have had a  few times lately that required my eating out.   I had a hamburger with mushrooms on top one time and the other had buffet.  Only ate chicken and green beans.   I have a card my Doctor gave me explaining I am on a diet that limits the amount I can eat and they have been great about honoring that.   If I don't want to use it I just order and have several meal.   (good way not to have to cook)

Judy

Judy  5'5"  HW 298  SW 270

on 5/24/16 11:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't think I've ever used my card, since I've learned to love leftovers! :)

Most Active