I did something stupid

BREE_
on 5/30/16 2:10 pm
VSG on 03/21/16

So I had my surgery 3/21 and last month I got a curly perm! It was stupid of me to not ask questions before getting it or yet alone even doing research! I'm having a lot of hair loss! And was wondering if that perm has anything to do with it!? I tired doing research online after the fact to see it it effects it but I can't really find anything... Do anyone know if it does effect it? Has anyone gotten a perm since surgery? Pleaseeee Helppp

KellyM411
on 5/30/16 6:09 pm

Although perms can be damaging to the hair, everyone has different results.  It may not be the perm, it may be just be coincidence that it happened after the perm but could be a post op result.

BREE_
on 5/31/16 5:23 am
VSG on 03/21/16

Thank you for your reply it deff made me feel better! 

Darcy G.
on 5/30/16 7:55 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Perms don't usually make hair fall out, at least that's never been my experience(though granted, I haven't had one in ages...). They do, however,  cause hair to weaken and break off. So you can end up with what feels like a buzzcut underneath the rest of your hair.

That said: I had my surgery after yours and I started losing hair this week. People say it's around the 3rd month? Well my 8th week was up on Thursday, so I'm in the 9th week presently and the shedding event has begun. You might just be getting around to getting your fallout.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

BREE_
on 5/31/16 5:25 am
VSG on 03/21/16

i was thinking the same thing but couldnt help but wonder id that had anything to do with it. thanks for your reply appreciate it.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/31/16 9:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Most WLS patients experience telogen effluvium. Basically, the shock of surgery and rapid weight loss make your hair fall out, often for several months. Search "hair loss" on the forums.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 5/31/16 6:40 pm

I was a teenager in the 80's and my sister was learning to be a cosmetologist. I have had some horrifically bad perms- hair breaking off at the scalp, dyed hot pink by mistake, you name it. With that said, I would at times lose a bit of hair from a perm back then. Not by the handful excluding the one spiral perm where nearly all of my hair broke off at the scalp. If it is the perm, it will stop shortly I think... I only remember it being an issue at least the first 2 or so times washing my hair. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active