looking for a cave to rent

alouisa63
on 5/31/16 12:04 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I went to a bbq on Monday with family that I don't see as often as I would like to.  While I love and adore them, it helped reinforce the idea of becoming a hermit.  The questions about my weight loss (you really aren't planning on losing any more, are you???) to the not so covert glances to what I was eating (grilled salmon, 1 asparagus spear and one little portabella cap - passed on dessert) and the comments about how little I ate after dinner was over ("why didn't you have corn or mac and cheese??").  Not to mention the compliments.... I'm just not good at taking them.  I never liked being in the spotlight and my WL has thrust me there, even when I change the subject.

Shopping still hasn't become fun - I got so overwhelmed at the selections in Kohl's that I had to leave the store.  Purchased=0.   I did better at another smaller store where I wasn't so overwhelmed and bought a skirt in a 14/16 and a pair of dress pants in a 16.  When I started out, my 32's were tight.

I know it will happen, that it takes time for my brain to catch up, but I wish I could see what everyone else sees.....

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

mmsmom
on 5/31/16 12:18 pm - Woburn, MA

You have to learn to embrace it.  Someone once told me when complimented - all you have to say is a simple "thank you."  Also,  I find people are too busy eating their own food to look at what I'm eating... or a simple 'I'm full" as to why you aren't eating more.  Keep it simple and offer less explanation.  Also, the clothes shopping will get  better - but almost 2 years out I still hold up my pants and think "these won't get on me" and they do!

VSG on 04/28/2014

alouisa63
on 5/31/16 12:26 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I still think a cave would be the easier choice.  But... I never really do things the easier way.....

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/31/16 1:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

alouisa63
on 5/31/16 6:28 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

OMG!!!! I need to go to Spain!!!!  

Thanks Julie :)

Jevelynne
on 5/31/16 1:34 pm
VSG on 10/26/15

The people, the comments, the shopping thing will be there, but you just have to know, the reason you didn't wasn't for that part of it!  You did it for you!  And that is what you got.. YOU BACK!  :) You got your health, your shape, your life!  Just let the rest roll off you like the pounds! :)  Congratulations on your progress. I feel you with some of the comments, I get them too.  But you know what?  I don't care!  Talk is cheap, my health and my well being is above any negative I may hear!

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

happyteacher
on 5/31/16 6:36 pm

Hang in there. Just give a simple and straightforward "thank you" to the compliments, and move the conversation to another topic. Nothing wrong with shopping in smaller stores :) Hang in there!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

iammommy
on 6/1/16 8:25 am

It's a funny thing, isn't it?  I still look in mirror (I am 5'4" and 139 pounds right now, size 6, got super lucky and have almost no excess skin) and I still see an overweight person.  My brain understands that I am not, and every once in a while I feel like i look really good.  But more often, I still just feel heavy.  I also still struggle with all the male attention I get- men hold open doors for me, lots of direct eye contact, flirting.  I get asked out on dates.  

I think I got so used to being "invisible" when I was heavy that it really is jarring to be on the other side of it.  But I try to remind myself that this attention is a small price to pay for being healthy and accomplishing things I never thought I could do (training for a half marathon right now!).  I'm hoping in time this part will feel more natural- I'm 2.5 years post op.

Just wanted to let you know I get it. 

Laura

Laura in Texas
on 6/1/16 10:09 am

The comments do eventually stop and then you must fight like hell to prevent regain or the comments start up all over again 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/1/16 7:23 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I so get the head & body disconnection. I don't get the oh you're getting so skinny, I sure as hell don't see it, so I get why you feel uncomfortable with the comments. All I can suggest is just smile & say thanks but don't elaborate, even when they want to keep going on about it.

Like the other day my neighbor whom I'm friendly with & has seen my "transformation", & knows I had the surgery asked me what you don't eat?, & I'm thinking if you saw what I ate just b4 I left the house you'd know I eat plenty! Then I remembered she doesn't speak English well & had to repeat what I told her b4.

If anything you sure do learn to practice patience with people sometimes. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active