Preop diet?!

mndvrmtt
on 6/14/16 11:16 am - Canada

Why do some people only have to do a week and I have to do two weeks?? I'm mad about this. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/14/16 11:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Different surgeons have different rules-- it may be related to the exact way in which he/she does the surgery. I had no pre-op diet at all, other than "nothing to eat after 8pm the night before surgery."

Make peace with your anger sooner rather than later, as you'll be on a restricted diet for quite a bit post-op.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mndvrmtt
on 6/14/16 11:20 am - Canada

I'm not worried about postop because I won't be able to physically eat. But preop, when I can but they're not letting me, and other people who are getting the same procedure done can eat a week longer than me, that's irritating. 

mmsmom
on 6/14/16 12:03 pm - Woburn, MA

Don't waste your time being mad - follow your doctor's rules - to the T - and reap the rewards!  You will be that much smaller for the extra week of preop diet! 

VSG on 04/28/2014

califsleevin
on 6/14/16 5:02 pm - CA

You will run into the same thing post op when some will be on liquids while others at the same point will be eating steak. Be happy - some have to do three or four weeks, or more, of liquids only for a pre-op diet, so you have fewer hoops to jump through than them.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sandra F.
on 6/15/16 6:06 am

My surgeon had different lengths of time according to your BMI, so for example a higher BMI had more time on the pre-op.  All surgeons are different though, so you might ask him/her.

FuturePinUp
on 6/15/16 12:49 pm

I had to do 2 weeks and it wasn't fun but it wasn't unbearable either - especially because I was ONLY allowed liquids (some people are allowed a protein/veggie meal for dinner with shakes for the other meals, etc.).

Honestly, if I had to do the 2 week liquid diet every 6 months to keep the results I've gained as an outcome of my VSG, I would totally do it.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active