VSG and GERD

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/16 4:18 pm

I have been approved for VSG (scheduled for July) and was wondering, I have an issue with acid reflux  in which I take a Zantac 150 a couple times a week. My primary doctor listed on my chart as GERD however I have never been formally treated for it. I was told to just take a Zantac 150 as needed. I have noticed certain foods (tomatoes OMG) and when I eat seem to cause most of the issue and have adjusted it so that I don't really have an issue much except on occasion when I say screw it and eat what I am not supposed to. Apparently I also have a hiatal hernia that will be fixed during my surgery.

So my question is: I spoke to my surgeon and he said since it's more of an occasional acid reflux rather than the more serious GERD that he doesn't see an issue with me having VSG but that it is up to me. He said it CAN make things worse. I do not want RNY so IF my VSG does happen to make things worse, will I still be able to take a Zantac after the surgery?

Anyone with VSG and acid reflux or GERD, I would love to hear your after surgery experience. Thanks in advance.

frisco
on 6/21/16 5:06 pm

GERD is a serious issue and you are smart for researching.

The VSG can be a very high pressure system and make GERD worse.

The VSG retains a full functioning pyloric valve which for the most part is an advantage, but with someone who has issues with reflux..... could make it worse.

That said, the VSG is much more than a chopped up stomach by what some call a cutter.

A proper VSG is a system from top to bottom. Aggressive treatment of a hiatal hernia and proper banana type shape sleeve that promotes positive food flow. Food needs to go down and not pushed back up.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

stacyrg
on 6/22/16 9:35 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I have a perfectly formed "system" and have horrible GERD.  Perfect surgical technique will not necessarily prevent GERD from developing, or becoming worse, post sleeve.  Not disagreeing with you, just want to put it out there that GERD can develop even with a perfect surgery.

yvonnef1964
on 6/21/16 5:17 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I had Gerd and it has resolved itself after I lost the weight. Also had a hiatal hernia fixed. You should be able to take the zantac after surgery. They usually put you on something for acid for a few months.

Hope that helps

White Dove
on 6/21/16 5:27 pm - Warren, OH

Lawyers are filing suits against the makers of PPI's because they cause liver and kidney failure.

Since you have GERD you would be wise to carefully consider the consequences of VSG.  Doctors are urging patients to get off of PPI's.  They could be pulled off the market.

RNY is sometimes performed to cure GERD.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

happyteacher
on 6/22/16 5:27 am

I had horrible GERD prior to surgery. The doc found a hiatel hernia during surgery and repaired it. Woke up from surgery completely free of any issue, and it was heaven. Surgery was worth it just for that! Fast forward 3 years- the hiatel hernia returned, and with a vengence. Got to the point I couldn't keep solid food down, and had to ge back in for surgery. Who knows if that would have happened with our without the sleeve? I am now 6 months out from that repair and feeling like the stomach is again herniated, at least a bit. (The 2nd one was very large, nearly the entire stomach up in the chest cavity.)  

I took a variety of acid reducers to treat the latest bout, so I don't think that will be an issue. For a fair amont of us, the GERD is fixed due to fixing a hernai. Still, some of us really suffer with horrible GERD due to the surgery. Consider carefully- in my sitution the doc said going in for a 3rd repair is very risky, and I might need to convert over to Rny to reduce some of the pressure in there. (I am 20 pounds under goal weight and really don't want to deal with that.) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Heather L.
on 6/22/16 7:55 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

I had experienced heartburn exactly twice in my life before surgery.  Since getting my sleeve, if I don't take my PPI daily, I pay for it (once with a trip to the ER when I was trying to ween myself off them).  I was hopeful I wouldn't be one of the unlucky ones to develop post-op GERD, but I was.  I'd still have the surgery knowing that was the outcome, though.  It's a price I'm happy to pay.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

stacyrg
on 6/22/16 9:30 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Other than taking a random zantac, I had no issues with acid, acid reflux, or GERD prior to being sleeved.  1 year after my surgery (including hiatal hernia repair) I began having issues with reflux.  It got to the point where the results of a manometry and pH monitoring test showed that my acid levels are elevated 409% higher than normal.  I'm on max doses of PPI/H2. (to be fair, it turns out I have a gene mutation that affects the rate I metabolize PPIs . . . I'm considered an "Ultra Rapid Metabolizer" so PPIs are basically ineffective for me) I take Axid in the AM/Zantac at lunch/Dexilant at dinner/Zantac at bed, and even with the meds, I suffer from heartburn every single day.  I sleep sitting up and wake up at least once a week coughing up stomach acid.  After suffering for more than a year, I'm revising to RNY on 7/1.  I know there are plenty of people who had acid issues prior to VSG who say that they were cured as a result, and I'm thrilled for them.  However, after going through what I've been through the past year (including having spots where my esophagus is eroding from the acid) I would never recommend the sleeve to anyone who has an issue with acid.  I LOVE my sleeve and am mourning its loss (sounds a bit dramatic, but that's how I feel) but it's slowly trying to kill me.  7/1 can't get here fast enough.  I would urge you to think long and hard about your surgery choice.  While VSG MAY help with an existing acid issue, there is plenty of evidence out there that it may not.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

Phatchick
on 6/23/16 7:58 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Thanks for taking the time to report your issues. I am having similar issues and am terrified of the RNY but after reading your story am seriously thinking otherwise. Thanks again! Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you are doing. Hugs!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/23/16 9:51 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On June 22, 2016 at 4:30 PM Pacific Time, stacyrg wrote:

Other than taking a random zantac, I had no issues with acid, acid reflux, or GERD prior to being sleeved.  1 year after my surgery (including hiatal hernia repair) I began having issues with reflux.  It got to the point where the results of a manometry and pH monitoring test showed that my acid levels are elevated 409% higher than normal.  I'm on max doses of PPI/H2. (to be fair, it turns out I have a gene mutation that affects the rate I metabolize PPIs . . . I'm considered an "Ultra Rapid Metabolizer" so PPIs are basically ineffective for me) I take Axid in the AM/Zantac at lunch/Dexilant at dinner/Zantac at bed, and even with the meds, I suffer from heartburn every single day.  I sleep sitting up and wake up at least once a week coughing up stomach acid.  After suffering for more than a year, I'm revising to RNY on 7/1.  I know there are plenty of people who had acid issues prior to VSG who say that they were cured as a result, and I'm thrilled for them.  However, after going through what I've been through the past year (including having spots where my esophagus is eroding from the acid) I would never recommend the sleeve to anyone who has an issue with acid.  I LOVE my sleeve and am mourning its loss (sounds a bit dramatic, but that's how I feel) but it's slowly trying to kill me.  7/1 can't get here fast enough.  I would urge you to think long and hard about your surgery choice.  While VSG MAY help with an existing acid issue, there is plenty of evidence out there that it may not.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks for the thoughtful post Stacy. I know how hard you fought to keep your sleeve, but I think you will be ecstatic after your revision.

It makes me sad when I see someone with GERD who is determined to go forward with VSG. Some will end up OK, but a great many will not. It isn't the sort of thing I was willing to gamble with.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active