IVC FILTER AND DEBATING ON HAVING SURGERY!

lorylight
on 6/23/16 8:39 am
VSG on 11/07/16

Hi VSG Friends:

I'm new to this site and hoping to find out if anyone had to have an IVC filter put in before having VSG surgery? My surgeon is wanting to have one put in me 1wk prior to having my surgery and I'm scared to death to have this done. There is many reason not to. The IVC filter itself is very dangerous and can actually cause death. It's suppose to help prevent blood clots, but the device itself can cause serious injury or death. I've done a lot of research on this device and it is shown on TV repeatedly as a very dangerous device and is currently shown as a bad drug with lots of lawsuits at this time. The device has a tendency to break apart and travel to other parts of your body via bloodstream it can enter other major organs like your heart, lungs, and kidneys. It can also dislodge from original placement and end up somewhere else then where it was placed therefore the purpose of placement was for nothing, and can cause serious and life threatening injuries. I know there are other options like blood thinners (Heparin) or (Lovenox) injections before and after surgery for one example. Please if you can help put my mind at rest I would very much appreciate it.  

HW 299, SW 276.4

breathemusic
on 6/23/16 11:33 am

I had an IVC filter placed about a month or 2 before my surgery (surgery was Feb 2014) and had no issues.  The reason my surgeon wanted it was because I had a blood clot many years ago, so I had a history and he wanted to reduce risk.  If it helps, they make a version of the filter that has a hook/clasp on the end so it can be removed later if you want to have it removed.  I personally left mine in since I figured I would likely get plastic surgery later and at least then I'd have the filter in case my plastic surgeon was concerned about blood clots.  I will likely get it removed in the next year or so now that all my plastics are done.  Has your doc said why he wants that vs using traditional blood thinners?  Mainly the risk with the IVC filters breaking and causing complications is from them being left in your body for a really long time and eventually breaking (just like any artificial thing that we introduce into our bodies like joint replacements, etc).  If he insists, just get the removable one!

lorylight
on 6/23/16 12:21 pm
VSG on 11/07/16

Thank you so much for replying back so soon. My surgeon places IVC filters in every patient that has a BMI above 45. Mine is 51 currently. I'm trying my best to get it down under 45 before surgery, but afraid I won't make it in time. I've lost 20lbs so far but need to loose 30 more before September estimated surgery month. My surgeon doesn't remove the filters, but still places the temporary ones which aren't suppose to stay in body for long term and those are the ones causing dangerous health risk. Currently waiting to hear back from ins co for surgery approval. I was told everything looked good as far as paperwork and that it should go through.?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/23/16 1:08 pm

if you don't feel comfortable with the IVC filter -postpone the surgery until yo get to 45 BMI..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views