Water intake post-op question

Secrets224
on 6/24/16 1:20 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Hi!!! I have a question. I have read hundreds of posts and I hope someone can possibly clarify this for me and I hope I phrase it correctly.

I am like a camel when it comes to water right now. I drink it all day long and have no issues putting away 80-100+ oz per day at this point. 

Obviously, I am aware and understand that after surgery, even getting up to 32 oz or 64 oz or anywhere in between can sometimes be a challenge.  

I have been reading about liquids and/or "slider" foods/liquids... I have also read where some people can go through water and chug like no problem, although I understand it is not advised to do so.  

Now here are my questions: In the event that after the surgery, at some point, I am able to ge****er down with no issues and drink freely, would drinking more water/fluid affect my weight loss or should I be strictly sticking to 32-64 oz per day? And also, does drinking water/liquid without food make you feel full or does it just slide through and not fill you up? I was curious regarding water and brothy soups in particular. Like having a cup of soup broth, versus a bowl.

Sorry for the long post. I hope somebody understands what I mean... Thanks in advance! :) 

zann50
on 6/24/16 1:48 pm

I am a sleever...I too love water!  The first few weeks I was able to increase my intake on a weekly basis.  By the third month I was back to my norm of 100-150oz/day.  The NUTS were concerned about my sodium possibly being reduced by this....labs were fine. 

Today, at 17 months post-op my intake is always greater than 150oz/day. Usually more.  Yes, for me, water does satisfy me most times...head hunger wins many times and I just try to make the choice of protein if I have to "feed my head".

Best wishes on your journey!  The stomach swelling does go way down after the first year....darn it!!!! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/24/16 2:00 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Drinking too much water won't do a darn thing to slow your weight loss. Drink as much as you like!

Fluids alone will not make you feel full-- same as before surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/16 2:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The best evidence suggests that drinking extra can help increase weightloss. It certainly won't slow it down.

Drink away. I average over 200 ounces a day.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Arjeffries
on 6/24/16 7:58 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Wow that's impressive. 200 ounces. 

Donna L.
on 6/24/16 2:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Often when people are "hungry" they are actually thirsty.  I have this issue all the time from old habits.  Drinking definitely makes you full the first year post-op.  As for past that, I defer to the advice of vets.  I never had issues drinking, not even right after surgery, but I was very fortunate in that regard.

Water intake won't affect weight loss.  It helps, because the excess byproducts from the body's use of fat as fuel (i.e., weight loss) are expelled through urine.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Tracy D.
on 6/27/16 10:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you stick to 32 oz. of water a day you'll end up back in the hospital with dehydration.  The minimum to get in is 64 oz. once you can comfortably drink again (usually 4-5 weeks out).  In this heat and if you exercise you need to get in 80-100 oz. per day.  Totally do-able.  

Water just slides through - but soup with chunks is something I couldn't do for months and months.  I still have problems with it now.  The combo of solid and liquid is no bueno! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Secrets224
on 6/27/16 10:19 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Thank you all so much for your responses. I really appreciate everything! You are all helping me tremendously. 

Most Active