Surgery tomorrow. Worries today.

Tll59
on 6/26/16 11:44 am
VSG on 06/27/16

I am scheduled for Steve gastrectomy tomorrow. Today I saw a friends's lovely picture in southern France where I hope to visit one day. Food and wine have been a large part of my life. Can anyone share personal experiences about travel after surgery? I am scared about it today.

jesuiscrystal
on 6/26/16 12:57 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16
On June 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM Pacific Time, Tll59 wrote:

I am scheduled for Steve gastrectomy tomorrow. Today I saw a friends's lovely picture in southern France where I hope to visit one day. Food and wine have been a large part of my life. Can anyone share personal experiences about travel after surgery? I am scared about it today.

I have some of the same concerns, as I lived in France for two years and plan to return to visit friends. I know that the portions are smaller there, but they are still far larger than I'd expect to be able to (or need to) eat. Sharing is not exactly a custom there, so I may have to just eat what I can and leave the rest. 

I will say this, I think you'll enjoy Europe more as a thinner person. From the long flight over to the enormous amount of walking (stairs, eek!) required, it should be much easier with less of you.

happyteacher
on 6/26/16 1:19 pm

Pefectly normal to be a bit jumpy today, so hang in there. Traveling is no problem at all, and you will still enjoy things just is sleeve friendly portions. I am excited you are going in tomorrow!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

acbbrown
on 6/26/16 1:54 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Food and "wine" (or beer lol) were a big part of my life before too. And at 5 years out, food is still a big part of my life given that I have to eat every day. I can eat a small meal. Can't drink after it but I do enjoy beer/****tail before my meals. I'm almost at a point where I hardly think about the fact that I've had surgery. I just know my limits and pay my respect to those limits.  All this just to say - post surgery - you can still enjoy food and wine (though I wouldn't do it while losing weight). It will all depend on whether you can balance your intake with your bodies needs. It is a life time commitment to balancing needs vs wants. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Donna L.
on 6/26/16 2:36 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

For me, eating out is about the experience just as much, if not more than, for the food.  I don't hesitate to leave leftovers on my plate.  Having been to Europe in the past, typically they eat far less and do the same more often than not.  I've been able to travel and eat everywhere in the US.  Certainly, most European countries have high protein options.  You might have more issues going to more remote places like Namibia, for instance, but even there it's likely not so hard.  I think it would be more difficult to travel as a vegan than a WLS patient.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Tll59
on 6/26/16 3:59 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Thank you for the positive replies. Just reading more conversations on this board helped me make it through a few hours of worrying. Easy traveling without the extra weight is a fantastic reminder.

Tammy

InItToWinIt
on 6/26/16 7:14 pm

Good luck tomorrow. I'm scheduled for my sleeve on 7/7 so I'm not that far behind you. And I'm also considering a trip to Europe either this Christmas or early next fall. I'll be anxious to hear how you're doing and would welcome any suggestions or advice you can provide along the way. Best wishes for tomorrow. 

petra65
on 6/26/16 9:44 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

My surgery is on Tues and I was reaching the "freak out" stage today.  I think that's pretty typical.  After all, we are having major surgery that will change our lives forever.  Good luck!  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views