Almost 8 weeks and still can't tolerate food

Cherie K.
on 6/26/16 5:36 pm - Hong Kong

When can I expect to be able to eat regular food and drink plain water without feeling nauseated?  I am leaving on my family summer holiday in 10 days (I'll be exactly 9 weeks out the day we leave) and I really didn't want to pack protein shakes, high protein soup packets, etc...

I tried a smoothie (usual protein shake with banana and blueberries blended in) upon my dietitian's advise and I felt sick to my stomach all day after only drinking a small amount, I've tried egg salad and felt sick after a couple small bites... the only things that don't make me sick (but are starting to because I am sick of them!) are completely pureed beans w/ greek yogurt, soup packets that the dietitian gave me (no lumps; just powder mixed with water), plain protein shake, decaf coffee, crystal light...

Maybe I am trying the wrong things? Any advice on foods to try that may be easier?  Surprisingly, I was able to eat a decent amount of Jack Link's Beef Steak when eating very small bites and chewing each bite for like 5 minutes before swallowing but, again, I really don't want to bring a case of these on my holiday either... I'd like to eat in a restaurant with my family.

White Dove
on 6/26/16 7:56 pm - Warren, OH

That is what I could eat at eight weeks.  I could also handle a cup of vegetable soup or a half of a small Wendy's chili, but took my protein shakes on vacation.  I could have tolerated a smoothie with banana and blueberry at about eight months out.   By eighteen months I could eat a small sandwich.  I was able to eat salad after three months.

I still do not do well with chicken or eggs.  You may be able to tolerate a small beef filet or a serving of fish or shrimp in a restaurant.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cherie K.
on 6/26/16 8:00 pm - Hong Kong

By salad, do you mean a bowl of lettuce?

White Dove
on 6/26/16 8:03 pm - Warren, OH

Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, beets, grated carrots, onion with dressing.  I was allowed after three months.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

PUGGLESPUPS
on 6/27/16 2:38 am - MA

Maybe not advance your diet.   Try having soup but puree it in the blender..  I had to do that for a couple weeks before moving onto soft foods.  I never was nauseous , just couldn't get things in. 

michellemj
on 6/27/16 9:35 am

8 weeks is still very early.

try protein shakes with jus****er or almond milk. Leave the fruit out. It makes it too thick and hard to get down.

I didn't tolerate all eggs til about 2yrs out. I could handle softly scrambled or poached eggs, but hard cooked or over cooked? NO.

When you are out with your family, look for moist, soft protein: fish and meatballs/burger patty come to mind. Soup works too. Chicken and beef are slightly harder to digest and might be took much this early. Pack/buy greek yogurt and eat as snack. You can even mix protein powder in.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views