Stuck food?

shaylynn
on 6/27/16 9:26 pm
Been having a heavy feeling after eating in my chest. Did a barium test today. X-ray tech showed me that barium was going down very slow. Said my sleeve is dialated. What does that mean??? I have no clue. Dr was gone, so I know nothing. Any thoughts?
hollykim
on 6/28/16 7:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 28, 2016 at 4:26 AM Pacific Time, shaylynn wrote:
Been having a heavy feeling after eating in my chest. Did a barium test today. X-ray tech showed me that barium was going down very slow. Said my sleeve is dialated. What does that mean??? I have no clue. Dr was gone, so I know nothing. Any thoughts?

dilated means open wide. Maybe she said your sleeve needs to be dialated or stretched back open. A stricture occurs when the  scar tissue narrows the sleeve opening causing delayed food movement. 

Barium gong down very. Slow means it is likely a stricture.

shaylynn
on 6/28/16 4:58 pm
Thank you so much. So now what is next. He is going to do a scope. Does this mean surgery?
hollykim
on 6/28/16 6:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 28, 2016 at 11:58 PM Pacific Time, shaylynn wrote:
Thank you so much. So now what is next. He is going to do a scope. Does this mean surgery?

a scope is an EGD which is done with a scope and a camera.they will uses different size dialators to stretch your sleeve back out. They will start with the size one that your sleeve is with the scar tissue and progress to a little larger and a little larger till it is the proper size. 

You will likely be give some twilight sedation. There is no cutting or sewing involved,so not really surgery.  And there is no recovery period like surgery.

sometimes, it take more than one dilation for the sleeve to stay open.

shaylynn
on 6/29/16 8:47 pm
But although I don't want things stuck I am very concerned if they make it larger. I have already gained back 40 lbs in 8 months and i am a wreck about continuing weight gain. I received surgery 5 years ago and lost 100 lbs to my goal. But for some reason I am gaining it back, and I am terrified!
hollykim
on 6/30/16 8:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 30, 2016 at 3:47 AM Pacific Time, shaylynn wrote:
But although I don't want things stuck I am very concerned if they make it larger. I have already gained back 40 lbs in 8 months and i am a wreck about continuing weight gain. I received surgery 5 years ago and lost 100 lbs to my goal. But for some reason I am gaining it back, and I am terrified!

the dilating shouldn't change the size of the . sleeve itself. It only stretches the scar tissue so food can pass again

weight gain is more about what and the amount we eat, not the size of our sleeves.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views