Super Confused now

Laura616
on 6/27/16 9:36 pm, edited 6/27/16 10:54 pm

Hello, my name is Laura...I'm 39, and today I went to my consult appt. at my surgens office. I did not see him in particular, but I did see like one of his other Dr. assistants. I've already went to the seminar, and I've already made up my mind that I want the sleeve. Well today I go to my appt. and the Dr. lady, Im gonna call her...looks my stuff over...and then suggests that I get the Duodenal Switch surgery! I was like whaaaa. She explained to me because my BMI is 47, that the sleeve probably wouldn't help me lose as much weight as I want. So I'm 5'5" and I weighed in today at 284.4 lbs. I don't want to have my intestine rerouted. I don't wanna have to take a large amount of vitamins, or have bowel problems...

Now I'm just so confused, honestly I think I'd do good with the sleeve, because I do love to work out, I can't run and jog because all this weight I'm carrying. But I have always wanted to do a 5K and just be super active and I love to hike! Or at least I use to. I jsut feel like she put some doubt into my head and now I'm like :/ 

Help, or advice? Anyone have this happen to them, and if so what did you do?

Thanks...

JTomo08
on 6/27/16 11:03 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

I can't speak in place of your doctor, but that actually surprises me. My BMI was 59 when I started this journey and my surgeon and doctor was perfectly okay with my choice for Sleeve. I admit I am younger so maybe that played a factor. I would question further why she doesn't think it will work.

deno
on 6/27/16 11:39 pm

I was suggested the same thing. My bmi was 55. I insisted on sleeve. With eork out and strict diet I lost 100lb in less then 3 month.

So if you plan to have an active life, stic with sleve, where you feel comfortable.

White Dove
on 6/28/16 12:15 am - Warren, OH

The big factor in weight loss, with our without a surgery, is how much food you eat.  Working out is wonderful but will not be a big factor in your weight loss.

People with the sleeve are expected to lose 60% to 70% of their excess weight.  That will put you in the 180's to 190's.

People with the DS are expected to lose 80% to 90% of their excess weight.  You would end up at about 150.

Your ideal weight is about 140 pounds.  Your excess weight is about 140 pounds.

There are exceptions to each scenario.  Many people do not achieve the expected 60% to 70% of weight loss with the sleeve.  Some people exceed that loss.

People with the DS malabsorb fat for life and can maintain their loss on 2500 to 3000 calories per day.

With the sleeve you will be maintaining your loss on 1200 to 1500 calories a day and will never have malabsorption.

Both operations will require you to eliminate or greatly reduce simple carbs.  With DS simple carbs will cause a lot of diarrhea, gas and gastric distress.  You will need to follow a strict vitamin regimen for life.

To maintain the 284 pounds you are carrying now, you need to be eating in excess of 3000 calories a day.

A good way to test yourself is to go on a diet of about 1500 calories a day and see if you honestly can be satisfied with that amount of food for life.  The losing phase with the sleeve will be about 900 calories a day until excess weight is lost.

The sleeve used to be the first step in surgery to allow people to lose enough weight to make the DS surgery safer.  You could look for a surgeon who is willing to start you with a sleeve and then do the switch is you are unable to lose enough weight with the sleeve.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

happyteacher
on 6/28/16 6:33 am

I don't know. 1500 calories without surgery is totally different than 1500 calories post surgery as far as satiety goes. I don't think she would truly get a feel for if 1500 calories is doable post op this way. Just my 2 cents. I agree with the 2 step procedure option- try the less invasive, then go DS if needed.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/28/16 8:29 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I agree with everything you say except the working out part... You're right, but theres a huge gray area that is being ignored :\

I feel like there is a stigma on this forum by so many people that working out just isnt needed. 

Working out (in my definition) includes something to build muscle and maintain it. Not necessarily body building, but anything that will build/maintain muscle mass... Paddle boarding, running (legs), rowing (back/arms/shoulders), etc. Muscle is what burns fat, and if we all just sit complacent and do minimal exercising (like, walking out of necessity for life) then we will eventually all end up old and stuck to chairs and walkers. 

If we add on muscle, our body naturally burns fuel more efficiently and helps to maintain weight loss. As far as I am concerned, the more muscle, the better. I'd even say that goes to the extreme of being a bodybuilder (not using illegal supplements, though)

I am not sure if you were implying "exercise is not needed", but it seems so many people on here do and that really bums me out :\ 

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

White Dove
on 6/28/16 9:46 am - Warren, OH

I worked out for one hour every day before surgery.  I was healthy with great muscle tone but still fat.

I still work out every day but now eat less food and now weigh much less.

Only reducing my food intake took the weight off and keeps it off.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

happyteacher
on 6/28/16 10:30 am

I exercised a lot during my weigh loss phase- typically at least an hour a day 6 days a week, and doubling up on weekends. Did it help? Absolutely. But not a crazy amount calorically speaking. I have now had a long period where I have not been able to exercise, and in order to maintain need to eat about 400 calories less. I do agree with the idea of you can't eat your way around a bad diet though. I think for me the biggest help was keeping me busy at night during my normal high grazing period- so helpful for what I ddin't eat due to exercising was the big benefit.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

frisco
on 6/28/16 3:14 am

Your probably not going to like to hear this.... I would believe the Doctor Lady.

She is telling you that their brand of VSG does not get the results.

The VSG is NOT standardized and all sleeves are not created equal and results are over the place.

If your set on the VSG you may want to find a surgeon that has a high success rate with women your size.

Is it possible to lose the weight with any VSG? Yes, it's ultimately up to you..... It is also possible to lose all the weight without WLS.

The DS is a very powerful surgery and does have the best results. That said, I went to a surgeon that has a very high success rate with the SMO and had 100% EW.

Here is a simple chart that shows 3 basic parts to the process. If your short in one area you must make it up in another.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Lisa F.
on 6/28/16 4:06 am
VSG on 06/06/16

My BMI was 42 and I had the sleeve. They told me I would lose approx. 80% of my excess weight. And yes, the reduced calories will be part of the sleeve but is easier to maintain with your reduced stomach size (not to say that you don't have to work on it). You'll also be on vitamins for life given the reduced calorie intake and risk for not getting enough nutrients.

I would insist on talking to the surgeon vs. nurse about this.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Most Active