Pre op diet

KTnj63
on 7/1/16 6:37 pm
VSG on 07/07/16

I feel like I am the only person with no pre op diet... Surgery is 7/7 and I am starting to get nervous.  Bmi is 39.9.   I was just wondering if anyone else has a surgery with no pre op restriction????

luvmypuggies
on 7/1/16 7:08 pm

I had a similar BMI and my pre-op diet wasn't very strict - just keep carbs under 40g for two weeks prior.  Do you really have no restriction at all? There are very envious people cursing you right now - lol.  Supposedly the purpose of going low-carb was to shrink the liver so the surgery was easier for the surgeon and safer for you.  Maybe your doc is such a pro that he can deal with big livers. :)  Good luck with your surgery!!  It's an exciting time! :)

KTnj63
on 7/2/16 1:05 am
VSG on 07/07/16

I have been reading a lot about the pre op diets and shrinking livers and there are some that say 2weeks really doesn't do that much.  Also I hope your right about him being a pro!!  It is amazing how different every surgeon is. And post op soft and puréed as tolerated.  He believes the proteins will help you heal faster. I have a family function 1 week after my surgery he says I will be fine to go. I must say I like his positive attitude. He certainly has me believing all will be good.  My fingers are crossed!!

luvmypuggies
on 7/2/16 9:40 am

People vary so much in their recoveries, so I can't really generalize, but I can tell you that I had the easiest recovery imaginable and felt really good, and could probably have gone to an event at one week (as long as it didn't require a lot of activity).  However, I was still resting and spending lots of time on the couch, sipping water and protein shakes all day.  I'm not sure how typical this is though - most people seem to spend a couple of days in the hospital and then recuperating at home for a while, and would probably think that one week was too optimistic.  I'll cross my fingers for a quickie recovery for you - be sure to stay hydrated and I'll bet you'll be just fine.  Good luck!!

SoCalDee
on 7/1/16 8:13 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

My pre op diet was pretty loose. For about 5 days I had to cut back on cards and then a 2 day liquid diet.

It is my post op diet that is tough..... 4 weeks of liquid only.

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

califsleevin
on 7/1/16 8:54 pm - CA

Just clear liquids the day before surgery, then liquids, purees, mushes and soft proteins as tolerated for the first month post op.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

KTnj63
on 7/2/16 12:57 am
VSG on 07/07/16

My post op is just about the same. Glad I'm not the only one!

califsleevin
on 7/2/16 8:22 am, edited 7/2/16 1:38 am - CA

This seems to be fairly standard amongst the DS docs who have been doing sleeves for years, and it is getting more common amongst others as they get more experienced and comfortable doing sleeves. This despite the matter of the DS being a vastly more complex procedure with a lot of fiddly work going on underneath the liver. It seems like developing those skills leaves the surgeons in a better place overall. Personally, from what I have seen over the years, I would avoid those docs who impose these extensive pre-op diets, particularly the all liquid ones (but if that is what ones' doc wants, follow his instructions to a T - you want him as comfortable as possible when he is rooting around on your insides!)

The counter-arguement to the shrink-the-liver thing that I have heard from some surgeons is that the last thing that they want their patients doing is fasting for weeks before surgery - they want their patients as strong and healthy as possible when they go into the OR.

Likewise, my doc has found that generally patients do better as they move to real food over supplements and shakes, so we stick with the liquids for only as long as we personally need to. 

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

McLassie
on 7/2/16 7:53 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Pre-op for me is losing a set amount of weight (which was initially ten pounds, but when I saw my surgeon he asked me to lose an additional ten) and then two days of clear liquids before surgery. I asked about a liquid diet like I was seeing on the message boards, but they said they only recommend it if you can't lose your weight pre-op.

Cindyu2
on 7/2/16 10:27 am
VSG on 07/20/16

I am envious. My surgery is scheduled for July 20th and I'm to drink only HMR shakes from the 4th of July until my surgery date.

Most Active