How long did you hurt?

mndvrmtt
on 7/1/16 7:34 pm - Canada

I'm dying for a good night's sleep and my one lap site is really bugging me. Roughly how long til you could sleep on your side or stomach without propping anything up? 

VSGAmanda614
on 7/1/16 7:40 pm
VSG on 06/14/16

Depends on the person.. Mine was about a week and a half.. It will get better day by day..

Starry Eyed
on 7/1/16 7:43 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Hi there!  I had the same trouble after surgery and a wonderful OH member suggested to me to use a body pillow early on.  This helped tremendously!!!  I found one at Target for (I think) around $10...a worthy investment!  I was using my body pillow by the end of my second week post-op.

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

SoCalDee
on 7/1/16 7:54 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

I have never been a stomach sleeper but I was able to sleep on my side about the 4th night. First night was a little rough but since then has been great.

Good luck!

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

popbella
on 7/2/16 6:24 am
VSG on 06/17/16

I'm a stomach sleeper myself, so I feel your pain.

My surgery was just a little over two weeks ago and I started sleeping on my left side a couple of nights ago comfortably.  However, I am surrounded by two body pillows and an extra head pillow under my stomach to relieve the pressure.  Sleeping on my right side is still a no go for me at this stage...even with all those pillows there is internal pulling and a little bit of pain, making it too uncomfortable.

As for stomach sleeping, my nurse told me at my one week post-op visit, not to sleep on my stomach for at least 6 weeks.  Don't know why, but this was her guidance.  She even sent me home with a list of to-do and not-to-do' s and not sleeping on your stomach was written in bold.  So, I'm guessing it's a big no no at this stage and I'm going to follow the rules until I get the clear.

Hope you can get a good night sleep soon!

cici123
on 7/2/16 8:42 am

I was able to sleep on my side after about 5 days with the creative use of pillows.  For some reason I tend to want to sleep on the side that is more swollen and irritated.   I am 12 days post op and can sleep on my side without pillows at times.  Using the pillows just increases my comfort level.   Best wishes for a good restful night's sleep soon.

Boxerlover3452
on 7/2/16 9:24 am
RNY on 06/06/16

I slept on my side as soon as I got home (2nd night).  I took the pain meds for 3-1/2 days and I was fine.  I was mopping the kitchen floor day 5 and walking for exercise the first day of surgery and felt great.  Sorry, but the surgery was just so easy for me. 

SKINNYDREAM82
on 7/3/16 10:07 am, edited 7/3/16 3:07 am

This may sound wierd I really just push through the pain and laid on my side I'm 5 days post-op and been on my side from day one ever since then I've just pushed through it once you're in a comfortable position you will be able to sleep no problem it's just getting past the actual turnover in the first 5 minutes of laying there for me anyway I know everybody's different

JTomo08
on 7/4/16 7:46 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

I am five days post-op now and last night was the first night I was able to comfortably sleep on my sides. Still can't do stomach. Can't wait until I can!

SassyAmy
on 7/5/16 7:23 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I was sleeping on my side 5 or 6 days out with everything propped up by pillows. I got a foam wedge pillow from Bed, Bath & Beyond and used that for the first week to make back sleeping more comfortable and it also helped with the side sleeping.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views