How long post op til you could really try eating whatever you wanted?

mndvrmtt
on 7/7/16 3:09 pm - Canada

Also, what did you find was hard to digest? And how much were you able to eat when you could eat again?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/7/16 3:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Define "whatever you want." Plenty of things are (or should be) more or less off-limits forever after surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mndvrmtt
on 7/7/16 3:53 pm - Canada

I mean whatever I want as in anything, regardless of what should be off-limits. I know what I should and shouldn't have.

FuturePinUp
on 7/8/16 10:38 am

Once I hit 6 months. That's when my plan allowed for me to add in healthy carbs. But other than carbs, basically at 1 month out - when I was on solids - I could have anything.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/8/16 12:46 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On July 7, 2016 at 10:53 PM Pacific Time, mndvrmtt wrote:

I mean whatever I want as in anything, regardless of what should be off-limits. I know what I should and shouldn't have.

The sad but true answer to this is "when you want to stop losing weight."

Going back to eating "whatever I want" again will sabotage all the progress you make.  Are you going to a support group or seeing a therapist?  Although we all know what we shouldn't eat, sometimes that demon in our head gets the best of us.  I would recommend that you commit yourself completely to your post op eating plan for at least a year to maximize your results.  Thinking about things that you know you shouldn't eat will open up a door that gets very easy to walk through.  

Hang tough.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

hollykim
on 7/7/16 4:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 7, 2016 at 10:09 PM Pacific Time, mndvrmtt wrote:

Also, what did you find was hard to digest? And how much were you able to eat when you could eat again?

as soon as you are ready to gain all your lost weight back.

Lisa F.
on 7/8/16 7:17 am
VSG on 06/06/16

My interpretation from her message is she was talking about digestion... not necessarily going off plan

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

hollykim
on 7/8/16 8:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Pacific Time, lfw57 wrote:

My interpretation from her message is she was talking about digestion... not necessarily going off plan

I think you misinterpreted. She clearly says she knows what she is supposed to eat and not eat but is still wanting to try "anything", period.

PUGGLESPUPS
on 7/7/16 4:27 pm - MA

around the 3 month mark.. But it was a learning experience and still is.  Some things I have no problem and other things can't do it.  everyone is different.

Anita
on 7/7/16 9:02 pm

Today I got the "go-ahead" to start adding other foods into my eating plan......I got a list of foods that are acceptable and apparently potato chips are not on the list (said jokingly, so please, don't anyone jump on me)............it's okay....those are what got me here. I actually ate ONE at the July 4th BBQ I attended and even though it went down just fine, my head said....."hey dummy....STOP NOW" and I did. Sure I CAN eat them, but I'm 1 month post-op and down 26 pounds......I will not jeopardize this accomplishment and I will do my utmost to avoid all the crap foods I ate to get to where I was.

So far I've been lucky in that there really aren't any foods I can't digest, but since I've been on a limited repertoire of soft foods all this time, I really haven't had much variety. I think I'm going to wait a few weeks before I add anything like a bagel (even before surgery, I always scooped them out til there really wasn't much left other than the outer edges, but I think they will still be too heavy for my new stomach......I'll just save the bagel with cream cheese and lox for some special occasion way down the road.....and even then I'll probably only be able to eat a quarter of it.....but it's okay! One day at a time and one pound at a time. I didn't gain it overnight, so I won't lose it overnight either.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active