Need help in finding a good wls Surgeon

lorylight
on 7/22/16 12:26 pm, edited 7/22/16 12:39 pm
VSG on 11/07/16

I need help in finding a great wls surgeon that doesn't require you to have an IVC filter implanted before vsg surgery. I know the dangers of blood clots are a very big concern, but I also know there are other acceptable options such as Heparin injection before and after surgery. I'm so afraid of all the bad and life threatening articles I've read about and the dangers of having An IVC filter implanted inside me. I live  in the Clarksville, TN area and would appreciate any recommendations for a surgeon close by or in the Nashville, Tn area. Thank you!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/22/16 12:39 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I think it may depend on your medical history? My surgeon never mentioned the possibility of an IVC filter. Instead I had heparin shots in hospital and at home for 2 weeks daily

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

lorylight
on 7/22/16 12:54 pm, edited 7/22/16 5:54 am
VSG on 11/07/16

Thank you for responding so quickly! I have no medical history other than my BMI is over 45. I need to loose 40lbs to be under that. I know others with a BMI higher than that and was treated like yourself with Heparin before and after surgery. I've been approved for surgery, but refuse to move forward for fear of having the IVC filter implanted. I'm working on getting under the 45 BMI, but the   weight is coming off so slow. Just discouraged especially when I know others with higher BMI'S that had surgery without the filter implant.

Kudzu
on 7/22/16 2:58 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

Charles Huddleston in Cookeville, TN is doing mine; not too far from you. No heparin, he just said I'd wake up with inflatable leg cuffs after surgery. He does a lot of bariatric surgeries and has brought this procedure to this area. He now teaches. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/22/16 4:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

First step is to get in touch with your insurance and see which surgeons are considered in-network. Then get in touch with those doctors-- they often do free information seminars with a Q/A period. That's a good way to get a "feel" for the doctor you may work with.

Follow up with the doctor(s) you like and make an appointment. Take a list of questions, and make sure this one is on them. It's important to do your homework, and if this is something very important to you, then make sure you find it out. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 46 views