About to start pre- op diet

GerryF2003
on 7/25/16 5:03 am
RNY on 12/11/17

I'm about to start the pre-op diet on Thursday, and I'm so scared!! I'm so worried that I won't be able to stick to a (mostly) liquid diet pre-op. Did anyone else go through this? How did you handle it?

HW 300+, SW 265, CW 202

I do not apologize for my existence no matter how uncomfortable it might make you.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/25/16 5:26 am, edited 7/24/16 10:27 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

The preop diet (and struggles) are incredibly common for the board :) For different patients it varies on length and what can/cannot be consumed

Take it one day, and one hour at a time. 

Sometimes I add in days of fasting (like, traditional Christian) and when I get super hungry it will remind me to pray and it helps me get thru it. Not pray for being hungry, but for whatever is on my heart, etc :) If you're religious, ya can do it too and its a win-win.

Also, warm liquids help feel full as well.

Good luck!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

GerryF2003
on 7/25/16 7:57 am
RNY on 12/11/17

Wow I didn't know that about warm liquids. Thanks!

hollykim
on 7/25/16 8:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

only if they are on YOUR plan.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/25/16 8:30 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Curious what plan wouldnt allow warm liquids for preop, as far as decaf tea or coffee, broth, soup, etc? Caffeine I understand but cant imagine any plans cutting out broth or decaf stuff. But, who knows. There are stranger things in the world lol

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

rachelp
on 7/25/16 8:45 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Warm liquid...GOOD tip, thanks! I start mine Wednesday. My Dr said he doesn't do 2 weeks because too many people cheat and defeats the purpose. We do 5 days.

hollykim
on 7/25/16 10:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 25, 2016 at 3:30 PM Pacific Time, Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T. wrote:

Curious what plan wouldnt allow warm liquids for preop, as far as decaf tea or coffee, broth, soup, etc? Caffeine I understand but cant imagine any plans cutting out broth or decaf stuff. But, who knows. There are stranger things in the world lol

some plans allow protein shakes only. Nothing else. I have seen those diets posted on OH. You must have missed those posts.

Sandra F.
on 7/25/16 6:08 am

The pre-op diet was certainly a struggle for most of us and I had the same concerns as you before starting it.  But just keep your eye on the prize, which is a healthier, thinner you and you should do fine.  It is hard though, I won't lie.  Good luck to you on the pre-op and upcoming surgery.

GerryF2003
on 7/25/16 8:03 am
RNY on 12/11/17

Thank you. It's good to know that this isn't uncommon for WLSers. I know that I'm not alone, but being told that is still a huge help. I already feel a bit better and slightly calmer after posting!

FuturePinUp
on 7/25/16 6:23 am

2 weeks of ONLY liquids here that comprised of: water, fat-free broth, shakes, caffeine-free coffee, and popsicles. I could have 1 4oz sugar-free pudding with protein powder, a day.

Definitely keeping the eye on the prize was what kept me without straying even once. I knew I was about to have a major surgery and I wanted to make sure that I followed through with my end of the bargain to ensure there wouldn't be issues during the surgery. My doctor gave me those orders for a reason, right? He knows better than I do what works.

It was surprisingly not as unbearable as I thought it would be. I made sure to keep myself on a tight schedule and NOT partake in any kind of activities where I would be tempted to cheat. If I had to do it annually to keep the results I've had from my surgery, I would do it without any hesitation. 

You GOT this!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active