Really feeling like what did I do to myself

Whatnow0621
on 7/29/16 8:01 pm

So I went to the doctor yesterday and I explained all the problems that I am having and his response was "well this can't be reversed ". I explained that I have problems drinking and eating. He explained that this is normal and I should not expect to be hungry for at least 3 months so I have to force myself to eat and drink because my stomach is not sending signals to my brain, signals to eat or that I am full. Please tell me that this is worth it in the long run. My surgery was 06 / 21 I weighed 248lbs and am down to 212 but I am terrified because I go back to work on 08 / 03 and don't know how that is going to work when I have no energy due to not wanting to eat or drink. We are not even going to mention those gross protein shakes that I can't drink. 

joanne0658
on 7/29/16 8:43 pm

it isn't easy but you can and will do this . . . forget the "what if's", and do each day the best you can.  hell, i'm one year out and sometimes meal planning for work is a chore and i don't feel like making ANYTHING . . .but i put on my big girl panties and pack my dinner.  i eat for nourishment now as opposed to it being an event.  even celebrations are super wonderful and i'm not all slugged out by tons of food and adult bevs.  take heart and know this tool you've chosen to use on your journey to a healthier, happier you may seem super rough but you're going to have some great stories of encouragement for others . . . .you'll get your energy level back soon . . . get plenty of rest and try as best that you can not to stress over this.  sending good thoughts to the heavens on your behalf

jo 

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

Transcendence
on 7/30/16 12:36 am

I'm sorry you're finding it hard to get liquids in.

What brand of protein shakes are you on? I find Optifast quite mild. Unjury I'm on the fence with, hoping I'll start to like it more (as I stocked up), but it is a bit sweeter than Optifast. Have you tried Syntrax? They do fruit flavours and all sorts - you can get a sample pack of like 15 or something. And if you are having trouble swallowing you can freeze them into popsicles.

Flavour your water, experiment with protein drinks. Schedule your time if you have to make sure you're on track. Use a straw - whatever works!

When did your doctor say you could switch to puree? That is the first goal right now, to get to that stage so you can at least look forward to something different to supplement your protein drinks with.

(My comment needs to wait for moderation, so hopefully this posts and helps you - if not, please provide more detail. I feel for you! :)

petra65
on 7/30/16 4:52 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I am a week behind you and have just completed my second full week of work.  I am still working on trying to eat something everything 3 hours and separating my eating and drinking but it is getting better.  I think I even hit 800 calories one day this week.  I dont really get hungry but I do get a feeling of "running out of gas" if I go too long without taking in calories.  I get really tired and have trouble thinking.  You may need to pay attention to other signals to let you know when you need to eat.  What people say about not knowing when you are full is also true.  I weigh and measure things right now.  If you eat one bite too much you will feel awful.  

I try to make one homemade protein shake/day from powder.  I find they taste better than the commercial ones and sugar free carnation instant breakfast has been another thing I can usually get down when nothing else appeals.  Good luck and you will get through this.

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

happyteacher
on 7/30/16 5:50 am

It will pass. I actually wish I could feel like that again some days (not trying to be snarky at all- truly gentle tone is my intent). Many of us have to eat by a schedule due to not feeling hungry, drink when we are not eating, etc. especially during the first month or two. You sleeve will slowly loosen up a bit, and for sure once you are finished healing up more it will improve. Take advantage of this time to keep your calories low. Keep trying different protein shakes. If you are a coffee drinker I highly recommend Chike or a similar coffee based shake- I can make it with 30 calorie almond milk, toss a couple of ice cubes in with it in the Vitamix, and make a very pleasant frappacino that is guiltless. Hot chocolate was another one that disguised the protein taste nicely. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

mylastchance
on 7/30/16 9:04 am

Well the Dr. is right....no going back....but you don't want to go back either.  Right now you question your decision,  no need to do that.  It seems dismal right now....wait for it, wait for it.....  Just make sure you are getting in enough fluids, protein and vitamins.  I was the same way with not being hungry and still at 6 years out very rarely get a hungry feeling.  I don't miss it at all. 

I eat because I know I need to eat something and you need to find what you like and schedule a meal so you have energy.  This is WORTH IT!!!!  Don't get discouraged,  don't compare yourself with others,  this is your journey and we are all different in how we go through it.

I had to force myself to eat and drink in the beginning.  Like I said I still don't get those hunger signals so I sometimes get up especially on weekends....I have coffee in the morning,  get busy with my day and find at 6 pm....wow I never ate anything today....guess I better find something.  I never worry about it anymore.  I know I am not needing much and my blood work is always good  and I do keep hydrated so I feel I'm good. 

Well this has been my 2 cents,  I hope it helps you in some way, that you are not alone in how you feel and it will get better,  don't dwell on it just try your best to work with it.  Make it work.  Fluids, protein, vitamins, and moving....you are going to be amazed and you are in for the best times....just let it all work out.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

SKmammabear
on 7/30/16 10:03 am

I can remember sitting on the side of the hospital bed after surgery and leaned into my husbands arms and asked him "what did I do to myself" because I was miserable.  I couldn't keep any water (room temp) down.  I can say to you IT WILL GET BETTER!  Your tummy needs time to heal and get the swelling down.  Just keep sipping or munch on ice chips if it helps.  Eventually you will feel human again.  You've got this!

Heather_Austin
on 8/4/16 12:27 pm, edited 8/4/16 5:27 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I had a hard time with the protein drinks at first too and still have a pantry full of every kind and flavor imaginable.  I just forced myself to do it.  I still have a protein drink most days 3 years later because I'm trying to hit 90-100g/day.  

Early on, I'd try to just do half a drink at a time and substituted Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and string cheese.  My Dr didn't love it but was OK with it as long as I had at least 1 shake a day.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views