Can anyone eat a burger with bun? Half a burger?

mndvrmtt
on 8/2/16 6:50 pm - Canada

Just wondering if it's ever possible to dine out and eat some of my burger meal without looking like I don't like the food. If you can eat a burger without picking it apart, even half, how long postop till you could do so?  

MissNexxie
on 8/2/16 6:59 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I now order my burgers on a bed of lettuce (or in a "lettuce wrap") so it basically comes deconstructed, without the bun, but with all the veggies and condiments on the side.  I cut the burger in half, divide the veggies and eat one half and take the rest home.  It doesn't end up looking like I don't like the food and no server has questioned it.

Lots of restaurants are willing to do this, I think its quite common.  You are best served to avoid the bun.  Get a take out box for the remainder and order a salad or fruit instead of fries.  Plus, it saves you from looking like you're being picky.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

alouisa63
on 8/2/16 7:30 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I picked apart burgers before surgery so for me, it's normal :)

And... even if I didn't pick it apart, for me, the bun just isn't worth it.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Steph Meat Hag
on 8/2/16 8:04 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Don't need a bun.  Been ordering my burgers bun less for 8 years. Tons of people eat low carb so it doesn't look weird.  Plus lets just say you did eat the bun, you'd not have space for the protein, and that's the best part anyway.  

When out at say Applebee's you can order a burger and veggies.  Push all the veggies to the side. Eat what you want of the burger minus the bun and take your side veggies for a snack.  Or feed them to another family member.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/3/16 5:10 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I give a coworker my broccoli side every time we go out to eat. His wife does not appreciate it. lol

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

poplargreys
on 8/2/16 8:15 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I can eat half a regular 1/4 lb patty with a bit of topping(cheese, pickles, tomato, etc) and I choose not to eat bread or potatoes so I don't precisely know how much of those I could fit if I tried. I usually look for things on menus that fit my dietary preferences instead of trying to make do with something I don't really want to eat, but if I'm absolutely FORCED to choose something like a regular burger I'd just eat the insides and leave the bun, and I don't particularly care if someone thinks I don't like the food. 

mmsmom
on 8/3/16 4:46 am - Woburn, MA

I can, at best, get in half a burger.  At home I try to core out as much of the bun as possible just to get some bread flavor but often end up aborting the bun altogether.  It does taste good tho.  I  have found that buying spring roll wrappers and filling them with thin sliced meat or cold cuts and cheese and baking in the toaster oven will give you the same taste as a sub but with only about 30 added calories from the wrapper - and it's very thin so i can often eat it.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 8/3/16 5:11 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

ive seen stuff like that on pinterest, burger egg rolls or philly cheese egg rolls! ive always wanted to try haha

ive seen also people posting about the egg white bread things, cloud bread? or something? havent tried, but did find in the recipe forum a while ago. had good reports on it

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

mndvrmtt
on 8/3/16 6:09 am - Canada

How far postop til you could eat half? 

Grim_Traveller
on 8/3/16 6:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I ate no bread of any kind for over a year, and until I was well past my goal.

Now, it depends on the bun. A Five Guys bun is slim, so I can eat a single burger with bun. Buns at sit down restaurants are just too huge, and I can at best eat the slimmer bottom half. Not the bigger top bun.

I often ditch both halves of the bun, and opt to use those calories to eat 5 or six french fries instead.

Wecome to your new normal. Making these choices is part of what we signed up for. Having to not eat a burger bun is a small price to pay for being healthy.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active